cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vastly deteriorating service during demo-presentations (using ethernet)

gm7tw
Joining in

Hi, over the last few weeks Virgin Media has become almost unworkable during work e-meetings where an API is presented via MS Teams through a VPN. There have been disruptions in the past making me wonder is there a problem with the VPN but the last few weeks the system has ground to a halt, and I have had to effectively cancel / pause/ reschedule the meetings. I have called Virgin Media, routers have been reset, and so on, but the problem persists. 

Is there any other way of troubleshooting problems on the network? I understand that the (Proton)VPN is not a problem, it is a stable paid-for and provides a modicum of security. The deterioration has been so bad I am considering cancelling Virgin Media and changing providers. 

What is going on with the network? How to check? Is this a router problem? How to check? The premium-priced and somewhat expensive calls to Virgin Media support do not seem to help.

What can be recommended to shed some light on this? As things stand it is looking like I will cancel the subscription. Pls advise. Thank you. BTW I use ethernet cable. 

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Post your power levels and network log from the Hub for comment.  Also setup a BQM to monitor and record the state of your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment, thanks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for this. I am setting it up, does it make a difference if VPN is on?

Hi gm7tw, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your broadband. I'm happy to take a look in to things but I've been unable to locate your account via your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi gm7tw, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I have gone into the account to check things for you today and the Hub is showing a prolonged signal level issue. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I booked an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM Just go to My Account > Track your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. 

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

In terms of the iPhone issue you mentioned in your message, this will be something to do with the device itself and nothing to do with the network. It maybe worth resetting the device back to default to see if this helps. If not, pop a post on the Mobile forum board and the Community will be able to offer more assistance. 

Pop back here and let us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath

• Thank you for the post and booking an engineer. It was scheduled for this Friday 8am-12. Someone came at this time, took details of the router, went outside to make a phone call, then said something to the effect that a new hub would take 2 weeks. He left and so I thought another appointment would be scheduled for two weeks time. Then this morning a little after 8 another person wearing virgin media attire arrived unannounced, no booking text, no appointment. I have no idea if the two are linked or even work for virgin media. On friday i asked for ID from the person wearing virgin media attire, i can give you his name, and he refused that a photo be taken of his ID card due to 'data protection'. I then asked for a name and number of his supervisor so i can check he works for virgin media and he did not provide one. Is there any way to check 1/ a virgin media engineer appointment is booked and 2/ how to trouble shoot the problem? 

The person who arrived yesterday- friday-  did not spend long at all and I have no idea what diagnostics if any were run. The guy this morning did not have an appointment and i was unprepared to take the visit. Sorry I thought the appointment that was scheduled yesterday was going to resolve things.

Can you help at all? What is the status? Was the engineer going to book another appointment? Also how can you check the person works for virgin media, ie call supervisor etc? As I explained to the guy on Friday, the problems have been so bad I even wonder if the first guy who installed the original router worked for virgin media. Thinking back on it I don't think he even wore the same attire as the chap yesterday.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and suggestions re next steps,

Kind regards

Trevor W

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @gm7tw

Thanks for the reply

Sorry to hear about this, you can check on your appointment booking / times through your online account. Is your broadband performance still poor today? How are you getting on since the visits?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team