Menu
seedanger
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Variable Speed Issues

Any advice, please? 

Small flat share, three people, busy street in London. New to Virgin: advertised as 200Mbs down, 20 Mbs up.

When testing through DSLreports our upload/download speeds seem to vary wildly (between 20Mbs down and 200Mbs down; 3 Mbps up and 20 Mbps up). We frequently get booted off our Zoom meetings.

This happens over WiFi a lot, but can also occur if we use our 'back up' Cat 5e cable. There is a lot of channel interference from nearby flats on every channel. WiFi speeds a foot away from the router can be half those when attached via a cable. Cable still performs badly and can lose Zoom calls.

Our BQM doesn't look too bad (see below). Have added Linksys EA6350 router as we couldn't position Virgin Hub3 in middle of flat. Installed OpenWRT and QoS to reduce bufferbloat (not much difference made on DSL Reports test which still reports C or D for bufferbloat). 

seedanger_0-1614009817025.png

We have a lot of LED lights but turning all these off doesn't seem to affect the stability of our available bandwidth. 

Any ideas why this is being so unreliable?

Thank you!!!!

0 Kudos
seedanger
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Variable Speed Issues

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That BQM is horrendous, you should not have any red fringing. Looks like you will need an engineer to sort that out.

seedanger
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Adduxi, I'll start there 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

DSLReports do not have any UK based Speedtest servers live anymore so speeds will vary greatly using them 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
seedanger
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary, would you recommend Ookla?
0 Kudos