Menu
hashim9372
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VPN's and harmful radiation

Hi, I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is the wrong place to post my question.

I'm planning on using a VPN provider to protect my web browsing, but had a couple of questions as I'm concerned about the health repercussions (if any).

1. Does using a VPN to browse effect the amount of radiation that my router will emit? Especially if I connect to a VPN server on the other side of the world?

2. Are Virgin Media (and all other ISP's) routers capped to emit a maximum level of radiation? Is there a particular value, and is it possible this could be exceeded?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VPN's and harmful radiation

@hashim9372 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is the wrong place to post my question.

I'm planning on using a VPN provider to protect my web browsing, but had a couple of questions as I'm concerned about the health repercussions (if any).

1. Does using a VPN to browse effect the amount of radiation that my router will emit? Especially if I connect to a VPN server on the other side of the world?

No it doesn’t effect it in any way.

2. Are Virgin Media (and all other ISP's) routers capped to emit a maximum level of radiation? Is there a particular value, and is it possible this could be exceeded?

Yes they are and no it can’t exceed it.

Thanks.

I would also point that there is no conclusive evidence at all of any harmful effects of EM radiation at the frequencies used by WiFi.

hashim9372
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for understanding and not mocking my lack of familiarity with the topic.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As an aside - I believe all the regulations are given by OFCOM and there should be information on their site as well about this.

All wireless kit in the UK will have to abide by these regulations

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
hashim9372
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I don't suppose a defective/broken router would be capable of releasing greater levels of radiation?

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good question!

I doubt it! But don't actually know!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The power of WiFi is absolutely miniscule (250 milliWatts or less). At that power level it couldn't even harm a fly. Compare 0.25Watt to an average 800Watt microwave.

A damaged router wouldn't cause any problem. Some routers from ASUS/Netgear etc have their aerials on the outside, and are perfectly safe as the power level is so minimal.

jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@hashim9372 wrote:

Thank you for understanding and not mocking my lack of familiarity with the topic.

There is no shame in admitting that you don’t understand or are not familiar with something, so there is certainly no reason for me to mock you. You asked a question, and I answered it honestly - I hope it has helped to put your mind at rest.

There is a lot of misinformation around regarding the ‘harmful’ effects of WiFi, as I stated, although it can’t be absolutely proven that it is harmless (but that’s because it’s impossible to prove a negative, other than in mathematics, but that’s another thing entirely), there is no good, proper evidence for any adverse effects.

Think of it like this, ‘can you prove, absolutely, that there are no invisible unicorns living at the bottom of your garden’? If you can’t then should we accept that there are?

Never apologise for asking a question, if more people were like you and prepared to ask questions and listen to the answers, then we would probably all be better off!

John

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We're bathed in EM radiation every day from the Sun.  The most obvious form of EM radiation is visible light.  Radio Frequencies as used by routers are at the lower end of the EM spectrum and are not energetic enough to cause damage to the body, especially at power levels that home routers use.

The type of EM radiation that can damage the body is high energy radiation such as UV and Gamma waves.  This is because they have energies high enough to cause damage to DNA  This is why people are advised to protect their skin with Sun block, as over exposure leads to melanoma.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

hashim9372
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Got it. Thanks again!
0 Kudos