cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN disconnecting and slower speeds (Forticlient working from home issue)

kyle939
Tuning in

Hello all,

This is becoming a massive problem and think it’s time to move from Virgin Media unless someone can help!

So, before I get into it. I’ve stopped using the Hub 4 because it’s terrible and bought a proper Asus AC5300 gaming modem which works flawless and I have disabled the advanced error search thing  this: https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/ - before anyone says to do that. The Hub 4 is in modem only mode and I have tried to actually use the Hub and found it’s not any better than the 3 so clearly the problem is worse and WiFi range is not as good compared to my router I bought and I have attached so regardless if I use the Hub 4 or my modem, the problem is there! - Also since I have swapped to a better modem, it’s fixed other issues in my house like connection issues or dropping spots and speeds 

I have called and spoken to enough people and it never seems to go anywhere or get any help, so I’ve had to raise a complaint which was the first! 

I am working from home and are required to log in under a VPN SSL which they use is FortiClient and Zscaler (not my choice or can I change it either so have to bare that in mind) as you can understand working for a life insurance company and to connect to the network and protect customer data and privacy, you Virgin Media need to understand WHY I have to use the VPN/SSL! 

Now, my issue is that the connection drops a fair bit, more than it should making my home working terrible affecting my performance to do my role and going into the office is to dangerous due to a son with Cystic Fibrosis so right now, working from home is my option until it all dies down!

So two things, how can I fix the connection dropping AND stop the limiting of speed

When I am connected to the VPN, we know, you know, I have seen that Virgin Media actually limit the upload/download speed, making taking inbound calls via VoIP a huge issue, then connections drops as well, making it a terrible experience from Virgin Media!

Is there a way, setting or something that can be done to actually improve the network or something at all that can be toggled on or off, because right now my complaint is open and going nowhere and I will be pushing further because it’s not right at all. 

I have the 1Gbp/s package so the fastest currently Virgin media offer and with my PC it’s fine. Heck, my WiFi is faster than most people’s LAN... even if I try via Ethernet, the problem is still there and literally I am out of ideas!

I have tried DMZ, uPnP, port forwarding, TPLinks etc etc and need help because it seems Virgin Media customer care are not helping and seem to transfer me all over to other people and never actually offer something other than “we have to monitor it and if bad send a technician” which I’ve had more engineers in my house than my parents, it’s not my house or network, it’s you, the company and how you handle VPN and this whole working from home time badly!

I hope someone can help or has some information I’ve not tried because I really need it to stop it affecting my job!

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

Hi

Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue?

I work in IT for my company and we are experiencing exactly the same issues.  we run a Fortigate Firewall and all our WFH users connect via SSL VPN using forticlient.  we have found that all users on virgin media connections are being throttled on there download speeds, with a bigger impact during core hours of the day.  i like you have tried to go through customer support but they lack the knowledge and understanding to be able to assist.  i have also raised a complaint and every response i have had is scripted and non sensical and simply wasting theres and my time.  if you have any information or leads to how you remedied this issue then please do let me know