Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

VPN causes Internet to cut out

I've been working from home since March and my employer has now provided us with equipment to log on, which uses a VPN.

Everytime I try to work, the Internet now cuts out at the router several times a day and the VPN disconnects. The router stays on and the signal is still strong, but it will say "no Internet". It usually starts again after a minute or two but hugely disrupts things when I'm trying to speak to customers. 

My work IT team has confirmed this issue is only happening with staff using Virgin Media and can't change anything their side. 

I've tried instant chat with Virgin Media but after 1 message they but me back to the bot which knows nothing about this. My equipment works fine and had been replaced and tested, VM even changed cables to the house which has boosted or speed to 100mbps, but the Internet still dies whenever I am working. 

I've read some advice from a vpn provider to turn off the Websafe option in my VM account - does anyone have any experience of this issue and whether this is a fix that would work and also still leave us safe to browse privately at home? We do have anti virus etc, I'm unsure what Websafe does.

Any help would be appreciated as if it works then it could help many of my colleagues too! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN causes Internet to cut out

websafe should always be turned off if you are using a VPN.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-use-websafe

the protection you get from the built-in windows defender/MSE is more the sufficient to keep you safe. anything else (third party AV etc are simply no longer required IMO).

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN causes Internet to cut out

Thanks, I'll turn it off and see how I get on with it. 👍

0 Kudos