cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Call Quality Poor

ScratchTheRat
Hanging out

Hi guys, we just switched to Virgin from BT and I have continued working from home with the same setup as before.

I log on to my company VPN and then make/receive calls over that connection. Since the switch to Virgin, my work calls have had poor quality and often cut out intermittently. 

I've checked cabled, reset router, done anything I can think of. I have a HUB 4 as its a brand new install. Any help would be great as I don't want to have to head back to the office. If I can't get it fixed tomorrow, I will have to cancel Virgin and move back as I am in my 14 day window.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone else who knows about VPN's will respond soon - but most usually say...  VM hubs and VPN's are a marriage made in hell !

You may well be advised to use the Hub4 in modem mode with your own router and wireless kit (I do that).

Give that some thought until someone responds

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone else who knows about VPN's will respond soon - but most usually say...  VM hubs and VPN's are a marriage made in hell !

You may well be advised to use the Hub4 in modem mode with your own router and wireless kit (I do that).

Give that some thought until someone responds

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply! I've seen this suggestion a few times but when I've only had VM for 2 days, I'd not feel it fair to shell out on a new router for a service that should just work.

I'd likely just cancel and move provider.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK your call - but see what others say first as there may be some "workarounds" that will work.

In 20+ years have never used Hubs from any ISP for my routing, wifi, and VPN's. For just this reason (and others) - I like to have full access control rather than letting the ISP decide things for me 🙂

All I want is a service that delivers a stable internet connection through its modem to my equipment - VM does that - but as you say its not a "complete package" - for me at least

--------------------
John
--------------------

Yeah I get that and I understand as far as VM is concerned I am getting what I signed up for, but a quick search of the net shows that hundreds of people have this issue and only with Virgin Media therefore it's clearly a problem.

I'll wait until tomorrow to see what happens and if I can't fix the issue, I have an offer from Hyperoptic that I will snap up instead.

@ScratchTheRat honestly, take the Hyperoptic offer now, don’t even wait until tomorrow.