Menu
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VOIP experimenter seeking VM FXO/Caller ID settings

Good day to you all,

I'm back to tinkering with VOIP.  With this in mind I am using a Grandstream Handytone HT-503 FXO/FXS VOIP gateway to connect my home phone line to a virtualised PBX (FreePBX/IncrediblePBX).  I have it working (at last) though not perfectly.

I have consistently failed to get the Caller ID (CID) working properly.  While the problem could be in my software configuration, my investigations and research suggest to me that there are numerous settings for the line configuration to enable the FXO interface to read the incoming CID.

I have configured to BT settings, but I'm aware from a variety of sources that VM use different standards, some of these specific to area (depending on original historic cable supplier).

I am in Waterlooville (nr Portsmouth) aka 'Area 20'.  I would be specifically interested in settings such as the:

• Caller ID Scheme
  • FSK Caller ID Min RX Level
  • FSK Caller ID Seizure bits
  • FSK Caller ID Mark Bits
  • Caller ID Transport type

Any other settings such as tones, timings and standards also gratefully received.  I'm aware this is a big ask, and potentially I'm asking in the wrong board, but 'home phone' seemed less appropriate.

Many thanks in advance

If my answer helped you, please mark it appropriately. It's always nice to be appreciated.
Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy
Remember: the answer I give is only as good as the question asked. The more relevant information you give, the better the answer you'll receive.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: VOIP experimenter seeking VM FXO/Caller ID settings

Hello

I would think that this would be best answered by the manufacture of the equipment, I did find this https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/grandstream-ht-503-config.47108/

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mike

That would indeed make sense, and that is what I'm asking.  However, in this case, the equipment is that which is used by VirginMedia, not my equipment, which is the subject of the question.

Caller ID specifications can, and do, vary between telephone providers.  Common sense would suggest that VM uses the same standards as British Telecom.  However, I am informed they do not, and worse still, that the specifications vary between different VirginMedia market areas (the 'area number' which appears on our bills and website screens).

Mine is area 20.

For my equipment, I have both manuals, and extensive information on its configuration.  I'm using the Grandstream HT-503 coupled with FreePBX/IncrediblePBX which is itself built on top of Asterix.  I'm not using a 3CX derivative.

Thanks in advance

Thanks again.

If my answer helped you, please mark it appropriately. It's always nice to be appreciated.
Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy
Remember: the answer I give is only as good as the question asked. The more relevant information you give, the better the answer you'll receive.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The area number (in your case 20) are not geographic but administrative areas and have no bearing on anything but billing.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well that's just annoying - I though I'd finally found something which made sense.

The information I've uncovered suggests that the CallerID specifications vary from area to area, as mentioned, because of the differing equipment used by the original cable provider.  While all the other technology has changed, my understanding is that the telephone technology has had little reason to be updated.

I live in Portsmouth which shares an STD code, now, with Southampton of 023.  However, Portsmouth is potentially separate from Southampton, thus Portsmouth codes are 023 92 or 023 93.

Thanks

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM Mods,

As Robbo kindly pointed out, this needs to come from the manufacturer of the equipment.  As only VM knows what equipment it is using in the Cosham/Waterlooville area, the information needs to come from yourselves.

Were I a BT customer, the information is readily available as they have standardised the protocols across the voice network.  Despite extensive searching I can find nothing reliable or consistent - despite the number of people asking online - which goes to show that the information is useful.

Please would you oblige?

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A forum rep will get to this - their response times are 5-10 days (maybe more, maybe less).

Bumping pushes your thread down the "to-do" list.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos