Menu
djparry3
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VOIP Phone issue

Hi All,

I have had to bring my VOIP work phone home but it doesn't seem to work - can't hear people on the other end of the handset even though they can hear me.It is part of a work network that allows us to transfer calls and do conference calls, etc

My support team say it's because the Super Hub 2 I have doesn't have the option to turn off SIP ALG (whatever the hell that is!!). Spoke to Virgin today and they said it was because my router hadn't been updated for some time - they did that but it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know if the Super Hub 3 has the option to turn this off or is it a Virgin issue in general?

Was told the only option might be to buy another router and plug that in...sounds messy!!!

Any ideas??? I am thinking about ringing to see if I can cancel the broadband as it isn't delivering what I need in the short term!

Thanks,

David

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: VOIP Phone issue

When this happens the outcome is usually to put the hub in modem mode and buying your own router

0 Kudos
paultechy
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

none of the hubs have options for VoIP configuration, could use any decent 3rd party router.. others have got a hard VoIP phone working with the hub2/3 in router mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lonman
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought that the Virgin Media senior technical management would have thought about this given the number of workers having to work from home, and having to take their work phone home. Wake Up Virgin Media your not helping these workers who are unable to use their work phone, and having to resort to other means of communication. Please get your technical people working on this.

Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The first Super Hub had the option to disable SIP ALG but this option was removed on subsequent hubs. The solution is to buy your own router with this functionality and to put the hub into modem mode.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
paultechy
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

alternatively could setup a soft-phone software using e.g. x-lite.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
StevenWB
Just joined
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Im experiencing this same issue with a superhub 2AC

Has anyone come across a resolution yet or are we still at the buy a real router solution?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@StevenWB wrote:

Im experiencing this same issue with a superhub 2AC

Has anyone come across a resolution yet or are we still at the buy a real router solution?

Your second question is your answer. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos