Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM customers directed to outdated website

Last weekend I updated a couple of pages on my website www.forp.org  Any visitor using another broadband supplier accessed the updated pages immediately,  Visitors who use Virgin Media are still seven days later seeing the old unaltered site.  How do I get VM to delete the old version (cached??) and direct people to the correct version.  Can I do the deletion myself?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM customers directed to outdated website

Can you stick to your >> Original Thread << please.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Had I received useful responses on the original thread I would not have opened another.  It is two days since my last entry on the original thread and nobody has responded.  I am still without the ability of VM customers to visit the up to date version of my website.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry if my previous message was abrupt.  As I am sure you can realise I am frustrated that some 10% of my mwmbers and an unknown number of potential members are unable to access the latest inforrmation because of a problem caused by Virgin Media.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What is the IP Address of the ...

outdated site ?

new site ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As you probably have realised, like many administrators of non commercial sites, my understanding of internet protocols is very limited.  The site has not changed so the IP address should not have changed.  All I have done is modifiy a couple of pages on the site.  VM visitors see the unaltered pages whereas anyone not a VM user sees the altered pages.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again JohnFoRP,

I'm a VM customer and I posted in your original thread, including showing pictures that  I am able to access your updated pages.

In your original post you noted that myself and ravenstar68 were able to access the updated site using VM

You also indicated, "I asked all Virgin Media users amongst our 590 members to access the website and report whether they saw the original or the updated site and to state if it was their first visit.  I had 18 replies.  I had hoped that there would be a clear division showing that new visitors saw the updated site and repeat visitors the old site."

How many repeat visitors saw the updated site?  How many of them were probably seeing the old site as their browser had it stored in the cache? Did you ask them to clear their browser cache/cookies and try again?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It is.not absolutely clear as not everybody answered my three questions accurately.  Only three repeat users said they saw the updated site, the majority of repeat users saw the old (pre update) site.  I agree that some of them may not have cleared their browser cache, howeverr I myself am with VM and I can assure you I have cleared my Firefox cache a number of times.  I have also tried using Chrome, Internet explorer and Edge and with all I still see the old pages.  Just to be doubly sure I have cleared it again now to no effect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is certainly a weird situation, like you, I see the outdated version of the website ie the one with four image panels and the left hand one is blank. So, yes there are two versions of this site floating around. I've checked the DNS for the domain and that's fine, I did wonder if there was some kind of round-robin DNS for the www hostname and there was some outdated site being referenced, but no.

So I took the liberty of looking at the HTML code for the page in question, are you using WordPress' WP-Rocket caching accelerator and/or their CDN system? The code would suggest that the site is definitely using the WP-Rocket caching.

When you updated the pages, did you force a cache clear and reload? It really should have taken care of it by itself but sometimes odd things happen and the notes for RocketCDN do say to manually force a clear when you make changes if you are using their Content Delivery Network?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think you may have identified the problem.  The site was originally set up by another member who unfortunately passed away about 18 months ago so I have run things since then.  The WP Rocket dates from the original setup.  When updating pluguns a couple of weeks ago the update failed for WP Rocket giving an error message.  As I was not sure what it did I just deactivated it.  It sounds like I should reactivate it and work out how to manually clear.

0 Kudos