Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM Wifi Connection and Speed

I am on VM 350MB Broadband and have absolutely no problem with the wired connections.  Been a customer since its Comcast days on dial up.  I have had no problem with wifi at all until recently.  I did note an engineer installing VM next door.   My broadband speed on my laptop on wifi is about 20-30 MB.  I also notice multiple times a day that my internet connection drops and has to wait to reconnect.  I got onto messaging and through chat I was asked to change settings in the router such as changing channels and not dynamically allocating.  I was assured that after 24 hours all my speeds and connections would be great.  Are they - absolutely not.  Messaging is a rubbish system - get all the way into passed security checks and then says they will get back to me.  I waited from 11.am until 10 pm last night - This is three days in a row.  Telephone supports says they are all busy.  I sent for a TPLink wifi extender - which also made it worse.  In doing checks on connections in router - everything is showing as low connection and needs to be closer to the router.  I've never had to do this.  Something has happened and I just need it sorting.  Talking to a bot and asking it if a person could ring or email me isn't happening either.  I need help VM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Wifi Connection and Speed

So wired speeds are fine?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yup over 350 MB available on wired.  My Hub 3 is located upstairs so I connected an long ethernet cable and ran it down the stairs to my office and everything fine.  I have to say that everything has been stable for years with the locations of my wifi laptop downstairs and the hub being upstairs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If someone has had VM installed next door then it’s possible that there’s some form of interference or congestion on the Wi-Fi channels you’re using.

First steps are to disable the “smart” Wi-Fi in the hub then change the channels on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to less congested channels. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

At the request of the VM person i have already disabled smart wifi - changed channels for auto to manual - from Channel 11 for 2.4 GHs and 48 for 5 GHz - these are the settings they advised.  Would you recommend any alternative channels

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Download and install inSSIDer by Meta |Geek.

It will show you the overlapping broadcasts that your device and 'see', you will then be able to make changes using that information.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You would need to use a Wi-Fi scanning app and see what channels aren’t congested (or are less congested).

Failing that you would need to think about putting the hub into modem mode and adding your own router or mesh system to improve your Wi-Fi. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone recommend a router from Amazon?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jmulvey wrote:

The Channels seem to be fine - 11 for 2.4 GHz and 48 for 5 GHz. Nothing overlapping much that I can see at all.  Would the low wifi signal strength create connection drop outs?

Very much so.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response Mike.  I think had we added anything, or do anything differently, then fair enough.  But I've had VM broadband since they added the cables in over 20 years.  We have always had lots of mobile devices and always run them on wifi as the main router is in my sons bedroom enabling him to have the faster wired broadband.  Its never been a problem.  Then out of the blue things have started causing problems.  I actually bought a new laptop to replace my last one as I thought that was just now powerful enough.  Now had I brought home a super gaming laptop and a hololens from work then I would question something different but alas not.  

Are there companies out there that do home ethernet cabling - sounds like an untapped market as I can't find any.

0 Kudos