Menu
B34T0N
On our wavelength
Message 61 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM WiFi booster disappointment - not working

I have tried to post the pics but it’s just showing two causation signs and not the image on the post 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 62 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Can you connect the Booster without the WiFi  symbol to your router following the instructions please.

And the one with the WiFi symbol in the room/area where you would like the signal to be stronger.

To be clear, the WiFi symbol is the 3 lines and "dot" , it is shown on the 2nd picture you posted.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
B34T0N
On our wavelength
Message 63 of 67
Flag for a moderator

I am an electrical engineer to trade. This is how it is done at the moment it puts my WiFi down to 50mps and drops out connection to devices etc.

not very good at all

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 64 of 67
Flag for a moderator

I'll send you a Private Message so I can take a look at your account and network details.

Please reply back to it so I can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
EightBall
Superfast
Message 65 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Try logging into the booster via its IP address and going into the wifi configuration settings. You can find the IP address by logging into your router and going to the connected devices screen.  

Set the booster to 20/40/80Mhz if it isn't already on that. 

A couple of other points:

If the booster is in a place where the signal from the router isn't particularly weak - you might get issues like this. Make sure the booster is somewhere with an actual black spot. 

As a test, you could use the wifi one right next to your computer upstairs and use an ethernet cable. If the speed is still very slow, the bottle neck could be caused by the mains wiring. 

0 Kudos
B34T0N
On our wavelength
Message 66 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Ok tonight I have turned off the 2.4ghz setting. I have a much better signal on my mobile now so I will give that a try and see how I get on. 

Done a speed test on my phone in the bedroom getting 90mpbs 

done it in my computer room (connected straight to router) getting 150mbps I am happy with that as long a song my pc stays on the router I don’t care. Is there a way I can tell the PC NOT to go onto the booster I think the router is closer than the booster anyway but just want to make sure.

surely those speeds are ok? 

0 Kudos
interested_part
Joining in
Message 67 of 67
Flag for a moderator

The wifi boosters are not great.  I hard wired mine to simply turn them into a wireless repeater.  Basically i connect a network cable from the hub to the port on the wireless powerline,  no need to use the other adapter.  So its getting full speed to the wireless adapter and then can in theory pump that out.  I have a tp link 1200 wireless powerline that i get the full 500mb wirelessly on my 500mb connection but the virgin netgear ones i get 300 to 400mb and often much less.  I am in a 3 bed small house and i have to put wireless powerlines run this way in all rooms as the superhub 3's wireless coverage is so bad.

0 Kudos