Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 31 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM WiFi booster disappointment - not working

Is there anything further we can help with, sparky621?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
sparky621
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately John, I don't think there is anything you can do.

We've had issues with Broadband right from the off as we are too close to the street cab. so have, at the moment, a 4dB cable simulator fitted. In the past it's been combinations of cable simulators and attenuators of different levels.

On top of this the Hub probably isn't in the optimal position as its in the study at the front of the house. It was built as a study but the builders only put in 2 single sockets. I've been meaning to add extras but have never got the time to nock off the power to the whole house! So i'm running everything off multi way extension leads.

0 Kudos
Lewis77
Joining in
Message 33 of 67
Flag for a moderator

I've also had problems with my Virgin wifi power line booster, some similar to the ones described when I first tried to set them up on Saturday. Took me about 4 phone calls and a lot of effing about. Thought it was fixed albeit I couldn't use the same password as the hub but no big deal. 

Then the next day the laptop kept freezing and I had to keep turning the laptop off without shutting down. This is not a problem I normally have with it at all. I then realised the pattern; whenever I moved the laptop the wifi signal from the wifi power line booster was prone to drop out, despite being a full signal. Or if I removed the Ethernet that was connecting the laptop to the wifi booster o go onto wifi it would drop out rather than smoothly picking up the wifi from the booster. Irritating enough. Worse still though whenever I then went to the network list to reestablish the connection (it stated 'no internet, secured' next to the booster name), I would click disconnect first and then when I pressed connect it would freeze the laptop. 

This has continued so I have also tried switching off and restarting the laptop if it drops out, rather than trying to reestablish a connection to the booster, which works fine but is obviously not sustainable, especially given the ease with which the connection drops off. On other occasions I have done troubleshooter and it seems that the wireless capability has dropped off. I don't have an external button on my laptop to turn wifi on and off so have gone to settings to disable then enable the wifi adapter and the second I press 'enable' it freezes the laptop. 

Because I'm not tech savvy I can't work out what the problem actually is or how to resolve it but this has only been a problem since I got Virgin's wifi power line booster 2 days ago. It doesn't seem to impact on the iPad or iPhone as far as I can tell but haven't checked properly as been busy most of Sunday and Monday. I have spoken to virgin who have booked and engineer for Saturday but in my admitted ignorance I question what they will actually do if the problem relates to it knocking some settings out on my laptop rather than it being a hardware issue. Any advice appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 34 of 67
Flag for a moderator

@sparky621 wrote:

Unfortunately John, I don't think there is anything you can do.

We've had issues with Broadband right from the off as we are too close to the street cab. so have, at the moment, a 4dB cable simulator fitted. In the past it's been combinations of cable simulators and attenuators of different levels.

On top of this the Hub probably isn't in the optimal position as its in the study at the front of the house. It was built as a study but the builders only put in 2 single sockets. I've been meaning to add extras but have never got the time to nock off the power to the whole house! So i'm running everything off multi way extension leads.

The cable simulator is reducing your signal strength but is it within spec? Can you post some stats. Go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP or MAC addresses.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
howdmc
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Connect process identified 2 blackspots. Ordered the boosters, easy to set up - well initially anyway...

A. Connected each one to WPS as near to the booster as possible. Left plenty of time for updates etc.

B. Pressed sync on little 1 and large. Again left plenty of time for it to finish doing the necessary.

C. Located little 1 in desired place. Checked on connect, got the green light and it had picked up local devices.

D. Repeated A-B on little 2 and located in desired place. Checked on connect, got the green light and it had picked up local devices.

Quick and simple. Up to that point... An hour later I started to get what I know to be the "yellow dot of doom" on little 1. Message to the effect that I'd signed into something (presumably little 2 connection) and I needed to sign out again. Disconnected/reconnected and then of course got the YDOD and same message on little 2. Decided to leave it alone for a bit.

Couple of hours later and both back on green with no intervention from me - hurrah!

Next morning, both had disappeared from the Connect app, and mobile devices were playing up all over the house.

Current status - unplugged and back to Hub 3.

Question - do I need to go through a different process for 2 boosters, so the system can easily differentiate between the 2?

Posting here as I am slightly hard of hearing as well as technically challenged and struggle with dialects/accent over the phone. Hoping there's a simple link out there I can follow - remember please it must be unambiguously about 2 boosters, not 1.

Thanks in advance.

Edp22
Tuning in
Message 36 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Sadly you’re not alone as you can see from the board 

I’ve gone back to my hub 3 plus the netgear relays I’ve used with nonissue the virgin boosters appear to be a waste of money time and effort making things worse not better 

I’ve still had no one from virgin themselves contact me to sort it out 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 37 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lewis77, 

Welcome to our community forums 🙂

I am really sorry to hear you've been having problems with your WiFi boosters.

As you've mentioned you have an engineer booked for Saturday, you would be best waiting to see what the outcome is of that visit. If you're still having problems after please let us know and we will be more than happy to help. 

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 38 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Hi howdmc,

Thank you for getting in touch. 

Sorry to hear you are also having problems with the boosters. 

Have you had a look through our troubleshooting page here

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 39 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Hi Edp22, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

Can you expand on the issues you're experiencing with your boosters? We would love to see what we can do to help 🙂 

You mention you're waiting to hear back from us, have the team been in touch since your post? 

Thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Je51cat
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 67
Flag for a moderator

I’d like some help with this exact issue!

Got one booster working great but add the second one into the mix and they both get yellow dots and throw everything off

phoned for tech advice and they just read from the manual that comes with the pacK

help