Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

VM Superhub 3 and App,e Airport Extreme network

Hi Everyone

I have a virgin media superhub set to router mode which I have plugged into an airport extreme, via one network cable.

The extreme creates a new network and then is cabled to 2 other airport expresses to create new networks (with the same name) in the rest of the house, including loft, kitchen etc which are further away.

Originally I had the superhub in modem mode (for 3 years) but last year switched it over to router mode as it was causing problems.

Those same problems are occurring again very regularly. The wifi network is working constantly but something is blocking the internet coming into the network from the VM hub. I use the Airport utility, so each time it happens, I can see that wifi is all ok, but I get an amber light on the internet coming in so no broadband is being fed to the network. Sometimes the fix is to restart the VM hub, and/or move the ethernet cable into another port from the VM hub... then generally all back to normal again. But it's happening every day. When I check the network from the VM hub itself (not the Apple extreme network), we definitely have internet in.

Conclusion is that there is some issue between the virgin superhub and the extreme that kicks off the internet connection every so often.

Any help or knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Superhub 3 and App,e Airport Extreme network

I have a similar set up - except my exresses are on wifi not cabled and I have the SH2 - which has been in modem mode for years now with no problems. So what caused you to put it in router mode ? Have you tried pinhole resetting the Hub3 and then reconnecting the extreme back in modem mode?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Superhub 3 and Apple Airport Extreme network

Hi thanks for the reply.

What caused me to put it into router mode was that the network just kept going down. There was an issue between the SH3 and extreme. I tried everything, reset the whole lot, built back up... worked for a day or two then the same issues of no internet into my extreme network (amber light). I even got a new SH3 from Virgin,and a new airport extreme, but same issues persisted. My fix was putting it into router mode to create a network, then plugging in my airport network into the SH3 to create another network all over house. Now we seem to be getting issues again, every day I get blocked internet coming in, amber light on the airport utility... fix is to unplug the ethernet cable from SH3 into extreme and plug into another socket in SH3... network back up again... for day.

I suspect if I put the SH3 back into modem mode I'll have all srts of issues again as I had last time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This is all assuming the network connections are all good .... are they stable when you plug in a laptop/computer directly to the extreme or Hub with ethernet cable?

If not... have you checked all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also checked that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. If its still flaky, you may have a network connection issue.

However, assume thats all good - simple Q - have you tried replacing the ethernet cables with new, good quality, Cat6 ones?

As you have both new Hub3 and Extreme - I dont get why if you pinhole reset both devices and set them up again with the Hub in modem mode and with the Expresses disconnected and off, that the primary network would not be fine. Then, extend the wifi by resetting the expresses and setting them up again (with new cables or wifi). Worth a go ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

As the hub is in router mode the Airport Extreme must be in bridge mode. Is this so?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

As the hub is in router mode the Airport Extreme must be in bridge mode. Is this so?

My SH2 is in DHCP and NAT mode - albeit my expresses are on Wifi not ethernet 😀

Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 12.15.43.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I cannot see why you would want double DHCP and double NAT.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I cannot see why you would want double DHCP and double NAT.

Dont think I have - do I?  The Extreme just set up automatically to "DHCP and NAT" - when connected to the SH2 in modem mode.  Never had a moments problem with it - no "double NAT" messages, no flashing green or yellow lights - steady green all the way (on it and the Expresses).  Its not "seeing" the SH2 as another router. 

Maybe the SH2 differs from the Hub3 in that regard?

Here's the blurb....

When you're using your AirPort base station alongside another existing router on your network, Bridge Mode avoids making the base station assign IPs to connected wireless devices. Instead, assigning IPs is left to your main router. If you're using the base station as your only router, the DHCP and NAT option is required in order to assign IP addresses and allow connected devices to access the Internet.

Based on the options you chose during setup, AirPort Utility will automatically set the router mode for the base station. To change this mode, however, from using DHCP and NAT to using Bridge Mode, and vice versa, select the desired configuration from the list next to Router Mode and click Update.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The OP has his hub in router mode and my reply to him was that the Airport should be in bridge mode. Why are you making such confusing posts? The blurb you quote supports what I wrote.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Roger - as you hadn't said, I assumed you were replying to my comment.
I'll get me coat !

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos