Menu
SuperhubUser
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM Powerline overheating, now broken.

In the course of normal usage, suddenly heated up to a scalding degree and stopped working - the lights are off and there's no connection, yet will still heat up to high temperatures when plugged in. 

Will VM replace it, is it fixable, or do I have to pay for another out of pocket? It came with our v6 about 5 years ago. 

And if I do have to buy a new one, does it have to be the exact same model (i.e. can I get a different brand)?.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
SuperhubUser
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM provided Netgear Powerline overheated and now broken. Will they replace?

Hi,

The powerline heated up to a scalding temperature and now won't switch on when plugged in (no lights). 

If I get in contact with VM will they replace it free of charge?

If not, does anyone know if it's universally compatible (i.e. can I just buy a different brand off eBay and use that?)

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM provided Netgear Powerline overheated and now broken. Will they replace?

Good Afternoon SuperhubUser,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and I'm sorry to hear there's been a fault with the boosters we've provided

We can seek to replace these for you, however we no longer issue the same boosters as this is now discontinued stock and now provide customers with Wi-Fi pods as an alternative.

Do please let me know if you would like to give the pods a try and I'll seek to take this to a private messaging conversation with you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

SuperhubUser
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out.

I wouldn't be interested in the pods if it meant having to sign up for the Plus service, or pay more out of pocket for them. The powerlines provided us with the ability to use the full speed (100mbps) available to us, as well as very low latency - I'm afraid that unless the pods are free, another set of powerlines from a 3rd party would be more suitable.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@SuperhubUser wrote:

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out.

I wouldn't be interested in the pods if it meant having to sign up for the Plus service, or pay more out of pocket for them. The powerlines provided us with the ability to use the full speed (100mbps) available to us, as well as very low latency - I'm afraid that unless the pods are free, another set of powerlines from a 3rd party would be more suitable.

Kind regards

Boosters should only be free if you’re a Gig1 customer or have a Hub4. If you’ve not been paying for them all this time then you’re lucky.

Powerlines aren’t a decent or viable option - a better router or fully fledged mesh system would be a million times better. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos