cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Hub 5 Router won’t connect to Hive Nano 2 Hub

AlMcD
Tuning in

Just upgraded to a VM Hub 5 router and the Hive Nano 2 Hub won’t connect to it.

Have tried all the fault guidance/recommendations on the Hive app/website to get the Hive Nano 2 Hub back online and to connect to the Hive website without success.

It seems to be a settings issue in the VM Hub 5 router, as didn’t have any problems with our old router the VM Hub 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

24 REPLIES 24

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use hub in modem mode get a better router with 1Gb ports or better.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the following 

Split the SSID's as below;

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.
• Disable the Smart Optimisation on the wifi bands.

Try setting the 2.4Ghz to the legacy settings as below;

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
In the Wireless frequency 2.4GHz select Wireless mode > 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Select Apply changes

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This can’t be a WiFi issue as the Hive Nano 2 is an Ethernet device.

Assuming the Ethernet cable between the Hive Hub and Hub5 is correctly seated, power down both devices.

Power on the Hub5 and ensure it is fully connected to the internet. When the internet is fully operational, power on the Hive Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Definitely switch off Smart WiFi Optimisation. It's an abomination that plays havoc with WiFi stability, particularly on the 2.4GHz band.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Ok thanks.

The Hive Nano 2 Hub is connected via an RJ45 cable in to one of the ports in the back of the VM Hub 5, will turning off the smart WiFi option impact port connections?

Yes the Hive Nano 2 Hub is an Ethernet divce.

I have tried the above a few times now over the last week and no change.

The Hive Nano 2 is an Ethernet device and doesn't work via WiFi.

Ok thanks.

The Hive Nano 2 Hub is connected via an RJ45 cable in to one of the ports in the back of the VM Hub 5, will turning off the smart WiFi option impact port connections?

Not that techy what impact will putting the router in to modem mode have on the other devices I have conneccted via the other router ports?

Had a VM Hub 3 and didn't have any problems connecting the Hive Nano 2 Hub via the router ports, is there some differences with the VM Hub 5 ports?