cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Hub 3 alternatives

leecurie
Tuning in

Hi all, I'm sure this question is going to get me a load of subjective answers, but I'll risk it!

I've had such problems with connectivity over the last 12 months (mainly WiFi dropping out) that I'm looking for an VMHub 3 alternative (Router or Mesh).  For context:

We're a family of 3 (I'm at IT professional of 25yrs) and have 120Mbps service with all the usual LAN connected kit such as NAS, 1Gbps switch, Smart heating, doorbell, Mobiles, Tablets, Powerline adapters, Alexa kit, all in all about 20 devices. 

Wife and child are constantly complaining of lost Wi-Fi and internet through out the day, though cabled kit is usually OK (I work from home).  Have changed Wi-Fi channels several times, factory reset and reloaded config on hub with no real success.  I'm now booting the hub daily.

So I think it's time to look at dropping the Hub to modem mode and put something else, split the IoT stuff off to it's own VLAN so hence looking for recommendations.

Unless someone can tell me an upgrade to a Hub4/5 or changing something on the Hub3 can make a difference? 

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Leecurie,

Thank you for the advice.

I have subcontracted my network architecture to my son who is the infrastructure manager for a startup company. He has undone all the lunacy I injected to my network and it runs well when there is no power outage.

We had some issues with our power recently (cable up the road from us has been repaired) and every time the power came back on I had to set my Hub 3 and my Mesh before they would connect.

There has also been an update to the Hub 3 firmware and it runs so slowly on my laptop and refuses to run at all on my iPad. It makes me wonder if the firmware might be the cause.

Macnite