Menu
TR5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM Connect App

In two years I have never been able to get the VM Connect app on my iphone to work.

I have tried removing the app and re-loading it, re-booting the phone, re-booting the hub, but all I ever get on the app is the first page with Let's Go on it, then it sits there for 2 - 3 mins then says 'Your not connected, Try again'.  Never works - why??

Does it actually work, or is it just a gimmick?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Connect App

Its buggy. It doesnt do anything that cant be done by going into the Hub settings or using other things, so just forget it.

What are you trying to use it for ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
TR5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

To activate hotspots, and to optimise wifi in certain rooms of the house.

**UPDATE**

I've just found that my Norton mobile security VPN was stopping the connection to set up.

I deleted the VPN and have now connected ok. Can I re-instate the VPN, and will it still work?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I dont use hotspots but as I recall I inactivated the option in "my apps" on my account homepage on the VM website

Just curious... what does it do to "optimise" wifi in other rooms. As I again I dont use wifi from the Hub - I use my own equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
TR5
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea, or if it is just a gimmick.  It appears to scan the signal, and if weak you hit the optimise button, then re-scan and it shows an improved signal. Whether it actually does anything - who knows.

What router do you use for your wifi - I could do with improving the signal in a 5 bed house.  Is a Mesh system the way to go, or a better router.

Thanks for your replies, by the way.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@TR5 wrote:

I have no idea, or if it is just a gimmick.  It appears to scan the signal, and if weak you hit the optimise button, then re-scan and it shows an improved signal.

It's magic 😀

See a post I have just made - message 4 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wifi-booster-keeps-dropping-signal/td-p/461...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The main reason I use the VM Connect app is so that I can access WiFi when out and about via VM hotspots.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TR5
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have Norton 360 mobile on my iphone, and had to turn off and delete the VPN option for it to connect to my VM wifi.

Do you know if, now it has connected etc., I can reinstate the VPN option, or do I have to leave it off.  I gather it has something to do with the security of connection, but I'm sure you can tell, I'm not that technical at to it's function.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid I don't know.  The easiest way to check is to turn it back on and see what happens.

The Connect app stores the VM WiFi profiles for the remote hotspots on the phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TR5
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I re-installed the VPN on my phone, all seems to work ok now. It just stops you registering / connecting your phone with the router in set-up, it appears.

Maybe useful for anyone else with the same problem!