Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 Boxes can’t see each other after Nighthawk setup

Hey all,

Sorry of this has been asked or answered I just haven’t come across any info.

After experiencing terrible WiFi from the Virgin hub I’ve picked up a Netgear Nighthawk and setup, works a treat!

However, both v6 boxes can no longer access each other, they are both connected to WiFi and strong signal/speed but fail to access the other box when going into my shows.

Is there anything I need to do regarding port forwarding to allow this?

Cheers,
Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Boxes can’t see each other after Nighthawk setup

No port forwarding is necessary no, but have you put the VM hub into modem mode or just left it and plugged the Nighthawk in? If the latter then did you disable the wifi from the VM hub (you really should) and make sure that both V6 boxes are connecting to the wifi broadcast by the Nighthawk?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah Virgin hub in modem mode and nighthawk is controlling WiFi also, they are connected to the WiFi as all on demand etc can be downloaded.

its just odd that either box can’t access each other in regards to the my shows section.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you haven't enabled "client isolation" on your WIFI network? doing so would result in no device being able to see any other device, but would still have internet access.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey, I wasn't aware of that one and haven't intentionally enabled that setting either.

I'll have to investigate that one and see if I can find that setting anywhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Been through a lot of the sections on the router and there appears to be nothing related to “client isolation”.

I think I’ll try a full power cycle of the router and the virgin boxes just for the sake of it and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to update this, no luck yet. To add to this headache I’ve just tried using the Virgin Media TV remote app which worked fine before but now strangely it’s saying the selected virgin box can’t be found on this network... 

so something is going on with the virgin boxes on the network via the nighthawk, back to investigate if the router settings I think! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All Fixed!

Another full shut down of the router and both V6 boxes has solved the issue.

Both boxes can see each other and the app picks up the living room box again for remote control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had a Nighthawk for 6 months, I had nothing but hassle with it, having to constantly reboot it top connect to V6

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Brava210 wrote:

I had a Nighthawk for 6 months, I had nothing but hassle with it, having to constantly reboot it top connect to V6

I've had a Nighthawk for over 6 years and have had no issues with it.  Only every had one V6 but the VM TV app connected to it without any issue.

There are many different routers with the Nighthawk brand and some may behave better than others.  I have noticed that posts on here from users with Nighthawk models that are newer than my old R7000 do sometimes need to do a few reboots, or boot the hub and Nighthawk in a specific order to get things working initially.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos