On our wavelength

can you dump the virgin supplied units and use your own

especially want to dump the chita (business ) and my homes hub 5

and purchase something more robust

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
No you have to use the hub but put it in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
No you have to use the hub but put it in modem mode.

AMCross
On our wavelength

using it in modem mode appears to have its own issues

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Like?

Modem mode is the best you can possibly do, it'll disable all of the routing features of the hub, leaving just the cable modem part - and it's this you can't replace. VM absolutely will not allow any third party equipment to be directly connected to their network, so anything you were to purchase and connect up simply wouldn't work.

If both the Chita router and hub 5 are providing inadequate broadband then the fault lies elsewhere, e.g. cabling or cabinet.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

chita router has a known issue which has gone away now ive replaced 15 of them with the original ones they forced me to upgrade

AMCross
On our wavelength

was under the impression that they still had issues with modem mode will give it a try this weekend

Hi @AMCross,

Welcome back to our forums and thank you for your query regarding using modem mode.

We generally are unable to advise on third-party equipment however you may find the following link useful https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Advice-on-how-to-put-Hub-5-into-Modem-mode-...

Please let us know how you get on this weekend.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

I use my own Asus router, but I have left my virgin hub in router mode. My router works fine. I get a fairly good speeds so I’m unsure as to why people say you need to leave the Virgin hub in modern mode when using a third-party router?