Menu
SJMS
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Using Virgin Mobile sim as a hotspot

Hi all I have a caravan on the east coast and I want to use my VM sim in an old phone as a WiFi hot-spot.

I turned it on but it was really really slow, I tried moving it to 5ghz but that didn't work. 

I blocked all other devices other than my firestick but it buffered the whole time.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying a new WiFi service?

Many thanks in advance 😊

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using Virgin Mobile sim as a hotspot

What do you mean you moved it to the 5Ghz?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
SJMS
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you go into the hotspot on the phone and onto advanced it allows you to change it from 2.5ghz to 5 ghz as I was using the hotspot next to the firestick.

As I googled it and it said that this was an option if u were buffering all the time. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Depends what phone you're using I guess - I don't have that option on mine.

You need to post in the mobile forum really as well

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
SJMS
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK thank you. I'm new to this forum so how do I share in more than one area as you suggest??

Cheers

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi SJMS, thanks for your post.

Tethering performance is based on the data signal strength- could it be that the signal isn't strong enough in the area for tethering?

It's not always an accurate reflection, but what does the coverage checker say the data signal should be like in the area? https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/coverage-checkerhttps://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/coverage-check...

Tom 

0 Kudos
SJMS
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

I'm not at my van until tomorrow so I can see what the speeds are.

Last weekend was terrible but in the past it's been manageable so that why I was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve.

There is a broadband available on site but it's quickline and very expensive when I get the sim included in my package.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I just realised the link above isn't working, this is the correct one: https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/coverage-checker-test - when you've been able to check please keep us posted.

Tom 

0 Kudos
SJMS
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

I've arrived at my van. Totally gutted as yet again no signal strong enough. The phone my sim is in has a h instead of 4g and I have tried it in another mobile and its emergency calls only. I have just done the coverage checker and it shows4g and 3g working well.

I'm gutted 😭

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Two other things to consider.. 1 how old (and what model) is the old phone you’re using to provide this WiFi hotspot and 2. Is the performance any better when the phone is outside? I know that a friend of mine has to use an external antenna to get decent signal with his 4g router when at his static caravan…

0 Kudos