Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Using VM cable as ethernet with adaptors?

Hi!

So, in our house, the entry point of the virgin cable into the house is in a far corner of the downstairs. We've also got a MESH network working of the SH3, using the SH3 as the DHCP server with wifi turned off. Crucially, there's also an ethernet point in the same location which throws a cable to the back of the house where our home-office is, so we can get wired connection speeds. 

The problem is that that because of the location of the entry point, the mesh box which does wifi for the house is tucked away and building the mesh network using the other mesh boxes is proving problematic. If we could site the first mesh box in a more accessible location in term sof the layout of the house, it would be a stronger network. 

Now, the previous people who owned the house had another virgin cable fitted, and threw that cable under the floor to a different part of the house. I was wondering whether that cable could have ethernet adaptors fitted and would work to send the signal from the SH3 to the different part of the house, and there connect the mesh fro a better and stronger network. 

So, can I fit something like this:

s-l500.jpg

to either end of the virgin cable and get things working?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using VM cable as ethernet with adaptors?

Sorry, no you can't.

You'd be introducing interference into the cabling and it would likely cause some real problems with your own installation, and potentially your neighbours too.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No that won't work, there are no simple Coax to Ethernet adapter plugs. In theory you could get a pair of what are called MoCA adapters which should do it, but they tend to not be common in the UK and are quite expensive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - I misread the last bit of the post where you've said it was an additional cable. My point was where you'd be using a Virgin Media installed part of the cabling setup

If the coax was 100% isolated from the rest of the install then it's possible I guess but I'm not sure if it's designed for that.

EDIT: I'm not having a good morning with my replies on this 😄

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Does the cable running under the floor look like the one that runs from the wall socket to the Hub ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it does. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

use the underfloor coax as a pull string and run proper ethernet.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Nice idea - unfortunately, they then put an engineered (ie nailed down) wooden floor down, so the coax cable hasn't got the room to move, unless we rip that floor up in places to create the slack (which isn't going to happen, hence this thread!)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

if the coax doesn't have room to move then it sounds like it might be snagged or crushed in places? in which case it would not be advisable to use it for anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It's working perfectly well; it just can't be pulled in any direction.
0 Kudos