cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VM Powerline with own router in modem mode

Ryles
Joining in

Hello

so I currently have a hub3 with naff wifi range and i've been unsuccessful in persuading VM to send me a hub4 or 5.

I've decided to buy my own router but I'm currently using a number of the old style Wifi powerline boosters to extend my wifi coverage and allow cabled ethernet upstairs via powerline. 

My question is will these boosters work with any router in the same way as my hub3? 

The powerline model being used is PG--9072LG-VM and they appear to be able to clone my SSID and credentials, unlike my older TP link models.  I really like this aspect as it means I don't have separate networks for each area of the house.  Does anybody know if these old powerline adapters will still be able to do this with a new none-VM router?  I know they will work as powerline regardless but it's the SSID cloning aspect I'm really interested in keeping.

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Those old VM PLA's were withdrawn and replaced with the new Wifi Pods.  Note there are some reports of these older units overheating .....  

So, depending on your contract the Pods will be free, or £8pm.  Personally, I'd go for an up to date Mesh system or cable in some Wifi Access Points and an upstairs switch.  Don't forget ethernet can be run externally, so not always needed to be internal.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What router make/model have you got now?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

Whichever Hub VM supply will have similar in home coverage.
It is also likely that an budget Wi-Fi Router may have similar in home coverage to a VM Hub.

Perhaps it is time to invest in a proper WI-Fi solution, as the next gripe will be the old power line adaptors are either too slow or having a thermal failure event.

Ryles
Joining in

the specific problem I'm having is the video doorbell won't work very well as obviously it's outside,  the hub 3 just doesn't have the range to penetrate the front window or door to get to the door bell.  I was hoping a new router with more antenna would help as the hub 3 only has 5 vs 7 on the hub4/5.  Pods or mesh aren't really going to help as theirs nowhere to place them that isn't already further away than the router currently is.   Guess I'll have to just buy a new router and change the powerline/wifi boosters to a mesh system in due course. 

Ryles
Joining in

ps if anybody actually knows the answer to my question though i'd appreciate it, ie do the wifi boosters work with third party routers? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Just do a factory reset and go from there. From memory they’re just rebadged Netgear kit. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks