Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Using SSH: CanYouSeeMe.org says "no" on port 22

I want to connect to an AWS EC2  (server) instance, but I can't do so using my Mac via the VM Hub 3.0

I've tried switching the hub to modem mode and connecting the mac to the hub with cable...but still no joy.

I've tried port forwarding on the hub...again no joy...noting that SSH was not an option on the configuration menu.

I know the EC2 is accessible, because I can do so using my mobile phone...what could it be that's stopping my connection on the VM network? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using SSH: CanYouSeeMe.org says "no" on port 22

Try changing the Domain Name Server in your browser to 8.8.8.8

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also having issues trying to FTP between computers here the FTP server is going on about Passive Mode not being active on the network. Its got me Stumped.

It worked just fine with the previous HUB. I hope they sort this situation soon I have some serious backing up to do.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@monkeypigs wrote:
Also having issues trying to FTP between computers here the FTP server is going on about Passive Mode not being active on the network. Its got me Stumped.

It worked just fine with the previous HUB. I hope they sort this situation soon I have some serious backing up to do.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/bd-p/Wireless

and click New post

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Mark_Rufus Port forwarding is for when you want to allow devices out on the internet to connect inbound to something on your home network As you are going the other way, port forwarding or modem mode etc. just isn’t a factor here!

Are you connecting to a host name or direct to an IP address (probably the former), does it resolve correctly?

@monkeypigs  Yes you really should create your own thread and not just hijack, two other threads is it now? Are you connecting between two devices on your home internal network? If so then the VM hub doesn’t even come into the equation (by the way there’s no such thing as a passive mode setting on a router). Active and passive mode FTP is something set on the server itself - yes the router’s firewall could potentially block the ports but it’s rare that it is setup that way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My initial through was that before we suggest DNS changes, the first thing the OP should do is post up a traceroute to the offending server.

This tells us two things.

1. That the hostname resolves and to what IP.
  2. That there is an active route to the server.

Once we have that THEN we can decide where to go from here.

@Mark_Rufus - CanYouSeeMe.org and the like is used to check there is an open connection to TCP based servers.  Also a number of these tools only let you check your current IP which is fine if the server is actually on that IP

This is a better tool:

https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

However I would ONLY use it to check the server is reachable.

A lot of people make a basic mistake.

I can connect to a server from a mobile connection
I can't connect to a server from my ISP connection

ergo my ISP is at fault!

This is wrong thinking.

Blocks can happen at the destination end based on IP address.  There are also routing issues that can cause problems mid route.  My suggestion is stop assuming who is to blame until all the evidence is in.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am trying to use the AWS "EC2 Instance Connect (browser-based SSH connection)" ...according to the AWS description 

"the Instance Connect API pushes a one-time-use SSH public key to the instance metadata where it remains for 60 seconds. An IAM policy attached to your IAM user authorizes your IAM user to push the public key to the instance metadata. The SSH daemon uses AuthorizedKeysCommand and AuthorizedKeysCommandUser, which are configured when Instance Connect is installed, to look up the public key from the instance metadata for authentication, and connects you to the instance."

However, I again tried using the SSH in the mac terminal, changing the permissions on the key pair using CHMOD 400 and the command:

ssh username@ip address -i MyKey.pem....

and I got it. However, I still can't get in using the "EC2 Instance Connect", which is the easiest way....so, jem101, you prompted me to explain what I was trying, it still doesn't work, but I repeated the SSH and it worked...if you have any AWS knowledge why one method worked, but the other didn't, fab, but it's possibly a bit beyond the remit of this channel (unless you love the mental contortions!) cheers

0 Kudos