Menu
Kat_Hunt
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Urgent support needed

Hello!

I need help urgently. My wifi keeps cutting out during meetings on teams and zoom. I have asked my landlord to help but he says that he has checked the speed and it is fine and is not helping me to sort it out. He is blaming my own laptop as the problem which I know is not the case as other people in my house have had the same problem. The wifi is included in my rental agreement yet it is not stable. I have checked the speed and it is fine. The speed is not the problem. The problem is that it keeps cutting out randomly during video calls. I am at risk of losing my job if this is not sorted urgently as I am an online teacher. Please help! I will be eternally grateful! 

I have called Virgin Media and the queue is an hour on the phone which I do not have time for! 

Thank you in advance,

Kat

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Urgent support needed

presumably the account is in your landlords name? if so, VM won’t talk to you about the issues anyways 😞

is there any way you could get the landlord to agree to run an ethernet cable up to where you work? or are you able to work in close proximity to the hub so that you can test via a cable?

if you can do some testing when using a cable to see how it performs, and it improves the situation, then you’ll have to try to convince your landlord to run one to wherever you need it - then maybe buy your own wireless access point to stick on the end of that cable..

Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I suspect VM will not discuss this with you, as your landlord is the account holder?  Sounds like you need the landlord to setup a Mesh or other boosters to get better wifi to your room.

Kat_Hunt
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. The account is in the landlord's name yes. He is impossible to deal with. He has been so rude to me so trying to avoid contacting him. 

I have bought my own ethernet cable and I have tried this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it cuts out even with the cable. Not sure if maybe the cable was loose when this happened though. I will keep using the cable to see what happens. Not sure if it will make any difference? 

I currently two metres away from the hub. It is literally outside my bedroom door. Would a booster make the signal stronger in my room if I am already so close to it? 

0 Kudos
Kat_Hunt
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am 2 metres away from the box. Will a booster change anything? How does the mesh work? Sorry I am not a tech expert at all so not sure how it works. 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Kat_Hunt wrote:

I am 2 metres away from the box. Will a booster change anything? How does the mesh work? Sorry I am not a tech expert at all so not sure how it works. 

A booster is not the solution if you are so close to the hub anyway.

Mesh systems distribute the Wi-Fi signal around the property, ensuring good signal strength in each room - but it doesn't sound as if that's what is needed.

So the Virgin hub (box) is within your flat/property that you are renting?   Not in another part of the building?

Are any other tenants/people using the same Wi-Fi there?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Kat_Hunt wrote:

I have bought my own ethernet cable and I have tried this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it cuts out even with the cable. Not sure if maybe the cable was loose when this happened though. I will keep using the cable to see what happens. Not sure if it will make any difference? 

So it's a shared house and other tenants also have the same issue?

You have run a cable from your room to the hub (box)?

See how it goes with the cable, having ensured it's all plugged in properly, not faulty/damaged etc. - if the cutting out persists with the cable then it's not a Wi-Fi problem - it is the connection to the hub from the Virgin Network.

There could be various things going on including contention in your neighbourhood.

if the cable connection is reliable then look at the Wi-Fi

Do check that the drivers are up to date on the laptop - is that yours or work?  If supplied by work talk to the IT dept.  If yours check yourself or take to a good computer shop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Kat_Hunt
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The box is just outside my door which is about 2metres away from my desk. The wifi is in the same building. There are 4 other people using it yes. They have also had issues. I think you are right it is the connection to the hub from the Virgin Network. The cable is brand new and it stills cuts out with the cable when it's connected to my laptop. I am using my own personal laptop which is a mac. I don't think it is my laptop as other people in the house are having the same problems. How can I check the drivers anyway?
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a faulty circuit. Connect to the Hub and get the network logs and power levels. Copy and paste the information here for comment.

0 Kudos
Kat_Hunt
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I am not experienced in this area and am not sure how to do that. How do I get the network logs and power levels? I have an ethernet cable connected to the hub. 

0 Kudos