Menu
taylorjus
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Urgent VOIP wfh help please someone im begging

My 19 year old daughter has been working from home since lockdown started last year. She is part of a call centre and all of her desk equipment was brought to her to set up at home. She uses VOIP to speak to customers and is part of a call queuing system. It was working fine until we switched our broadband. 

Since we upgraded our virgin broadband to 1gb, we have not been able to get her up and running again and her company have told her if we cannot sort this out she will be sacked and as you can appreciate she is freaking out.

Her work have done everything they can from their end to find out what the problem is and they have come down to the problem being our virgin media broadband. We have tried numerous places to speak to someone at virgin media who can help us but it’s been a nightmare. 

So basically I try to pick up a call but it doesn’t come completely through until 13 seconds after. So it’s 13 seconds of silence

Tech support within company have said this is the issue “

This is what they put: “I believe that the cause is located on the users LAN. The user does not experience this issue when in the office and is the only agent reporting this behaviour. I suspect that the SIP ALG is enabled on the users home router, SIP ALG inspects the packet as it traverses the router but can also affect SIP packets in unexpected ways, corrupting them and making them unreadable. This can give you unexpected behaviour, such as phones not registering and incoming calls failing”

we are at our wits end we don’t know where to go, what to try to fix this. Can anybody help us? 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Urgent VOIP wfh help please someone im begging

@taylorjus wrote:

My 19 year old daughter has been working from home since lockdown started last year. She is part of a call centre and all of her desk equipment was brought to her to set up at home. She uses VOIP to speak to customers and is part of a call queuing system. It was working fine until we switched our broadband. 

Since we upgraded our virgin broadband to 1gb, we have not been able to get her up and running again and her company have told her if we cannot sort this out she will be sacked and as you can appreciate she is freaking out.

Her work have done everything they can from their end to find out what the problem is and they have come down to the problem being our virgin media broadband. We have tried numerous places to speak to someone at virgin media who can help us but it’s been a nightmare. 

So basically I try to pick up a call but it doesn’t come completely through until 13 seconds after. So it’s 13 seconds of silence

Tech support within company have said this is the issue “

This is what they put: “I believe that the cause is located on the users LAN. The user does not experience this issue when in the office and is the only agent reporting this behaviour. I suspect that the SIP ALG is enabled on the users home router, SIP ALG inspects the packet as it traverses the router but can also affect SIP packets in unexpected ways, corrupting them and making them unreadable. This can give you unexpected behaviour, such as phones not registering and incoming calls failing”

we are at our wits end we don’t know where to go, what to try to fix this. Can anybody help us? 

You cannot disable SIP ALG on the HUBs:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/SIP-ALG/td-p/4504925 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can’t disable it on the hub.

You’ll need to get a router that allows it and run it alongside the hub in modem mode. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As the chaps have said. 

Fortunately, Its a relatively quick and easy fix for her tech support team. Or if you spend a few quid yourselves (£50-100) you will get decent kit that will sort it by yourself (with help and advice on here) and have the added bonus of providing better wifi coverage across the whole property

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
taylorjus
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Could you suggest any modem or routers that we could add. We know nothing about IT. 

we could then go back to her company and say they need to sort this 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

You have to use the Hub as a modem and buy a router or mesh system. What size/construction is the property, how important is the wifi coverage across the property and what budget do you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
taylorjus
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Usual 3 bedroom property. We have in the house WiFi, in our conservatory we have another WiFi extender. Hardwired from house to garage. 

im going to go back to her boss and explain what they need to get to enable her to work from home. We are not IT minded neither is my daughter but she doesn’t want to loose her job due to our broadband. Her IT dept are useless. So I want to go back and say they need to get this other router

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

OK - but fastest solution may still be to buy a decent basic router from Amazon (next day delivery) and set that up yourself its not that difficult

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@taylorjus wrote:

Usual 3 bedroom property. We have in the house WiFi, in our conservatory we have another WiFi extender. Hardwired from house to garage. 

im going to go back to her boss and explain what they need to get to enable her to work from home. We are not IT minded neither is my daughter but she doesn’t want to loose her job due to our broadband. Her IT dept are useless. So I want to go back and say they need to get this other router

I know her company have pointed you in one direction, however for everyone's benefit could you create a BQM and post the live link?

This creates a live graph of your line quality, just to prove you haven't got an underlying issue with your broadband.

Could you also access the HUB using http://192.168.0.1 , navigate to 'Advanced Settings/Tools/Network Status' and post the 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network log' data (Copy paste as text in separate posts, and click 'post' a second time if you get an error)?

0 Kudos
taylorjus
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Ok, do I need to look for anything specific router on Amazon? 

sorry I’ve got no IT idea and I want to try and resolve it for her.

Do we just plug it in behind the Virgin media box?

0 Kudos