cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream qam rain

madmanx
On our wavelength

Hi silly question but are virgins connections water proof? I mean the cable from the cabinet to the cable that joins up with the cable that enters the house?

Reason is that every time it rains the upstream qam drops from 64 to 16qam on one particular channel, the connection that is inside the brown omnibox.  seems tight but it is under a Bush there is no electric or sealant tape around the connection is water able to get into it?

And is that the likely cause that water is getting into connection? I read somewhere that the connection can withstand being submerged in water and still be ok?

Any thoughts? As last night upstream channels were all at 64qam today one of them is at 16qam and have packet loss on bqm. And as usual it's the upstream channel on the lowest frequency that is affected, always playing up and so wonder if the rain is the cause?

4 REPLIES 4

madmanx
On our wavelength
Welcome back!
Sign in to view or modify your Hub 3.0 settings.
PasswordShow

Router status

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
14960003840.3512064 qam1
22359991339.3512016 qam5
34309993739.8512064 qam2
43009980939.3512064 qam4
53660010839.5512064 qam3

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
1ATDMA0020
2ATDMA0050
3ATDMA0020
4ATDMA0010
5ATDMA0030

Hi @madmanx thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here. 

At the time of writing, I have checked your Hub's levels and everything is within specifications so there aren't any issues on the line here.

If things do deteriorate, please don't hesitate to let me know and we can investigate further.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Funny enough, this happened to my Cabinet quite some time ago.  Once reported, the cab has been fine since it was repaired.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have one noisy channel around the 250Mhz range, which are the channels most susceptible to noise. If it doesn’t affect performance I should not worry too much. If several US streams start dropping or T3s start ramping up significantly it points to equipment or ingress issues that need investigation.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks