Menu
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading WiFi signal

@jbrennand wrote:

@griffin wrote:

Why? there is a perfectly simple method to test the powerline adapters and mains noise without borrowing another set or going through the rest of the rigmarole if you understand what you are doing.

True, but the beauty of doing the experiment is that you get the answer when you don't know what you are doing and also don't want to pay a person who does.

Why would you want to pay someone to plug in a powerline adapter? As I said it is a simple test, based on a simple principle which I alluded to in my first post.
If you understand the basic principles you can logically test rather than blindly "experimenting" which in all likelihood will have you going around in ever increasing circles.

@griffin wrote:
Do you know for sure that a single access point would work?
Businesses like you mentioned mainly use enterprise kit, which for one is very expensive.

Nope, you are correct it probably wouldn't - but as an experimentalist, I would of course borrow one and cable it up, temporarily located in different positions, and see if it does work.   Smiley Happy

Do you live next to Ned Flanders?
You are always suggesting to borrow this or that, do you return them? Smiley Happy
In this case experimenting  testing with another set of adapters will be pointless as testing the adapters in adjacent sockets will show if the adapters are faulty. Just providing another unnecessary loop to jump through which you seem to be very fond of doing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading WiFi signal

@griffin wrote:

Why would you want to pay someone to plug in a powerline adapter? As I said it is a simple test, based on a simple principle which I alluded to in my first post.
If you understand the basic principles you can logically test rather than blindly "experimenting" which in all likelihood will have you going around in ever increasing circles.

I meant to check the electrical circuit for continuity and noise.  I had an electrician in to ground the new CH boiler/pipes around the time my lad was wanting a set, so I just asked him to have a look and check the circuits - he said they were linked and there was very little noise or interference on the path between the sockets - didn't charge me either Smiley Happy

@griffin wrote:

Do you live next to Ned Flanders?

Smiley Happy

You are always suggesting to borrow this or that, do you return them? Smiley Happy
In this case experimenting  testing with another set of adapters will be pointless as testing the adapters in adjacent sockets will show if the adapters are faulty. Just providing another unnecessary loop to jump through which you seem to be very fond of doing.

I have a good network of 6/7 like minded (scientist) friends who like to share kit, tools, equipment, toys, etc., around so that as a group we only need to buy a single rarely used "esoteric" item (like, extra long drill bits, folding ladder platform for decorating stairs, even have a small set of scaffolding !).  It works well and also if one of us gets a new toy/gizmo we are happy to take it around to let others play and see if it works and they might like it.  My lad on the other hand will just Amazon prime something, test it (carefully) and if it meets his satisfaction he keeps it - if not he boxes it up and it goes straight back.  I cant bring myself to do that it just seems.. (a) wrong and (b) a faff.  My lass does the same with Asos clothing - they tell me its the "modern way !

I spent 35 years planning and doing scientific experiments and never thought any of it was an unnecessary loop as all data is good to have (particularly if derived from an alternative approach) and can often be unexpectedly useful Smiley Happy

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos