Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading WIFI router

I would like to upgrade my Superhub 2 router. I need to talk to somebody about it. 150 is useless and so is Text Messaging Service. Can I at least to talk to somebody via e-mail?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading WIFI router

Hello

There is no email support done by VM you can order the hub yourself at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap if the page comes up and says oops something went wrong come back on this post and a VM forum staff member will arrange one for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I do not want to just go ahead and buy it. I would like to discuss it with somebody knowledgeable. Like "do I even need it?". Though I generally believe in upgrades.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You dont buy VM equipment you rent it - replacements and upgrades are usually free

So talk on here - this is the place you will get the best advice about VM equipment.

What do you want to know specifically about Superhub's, Hub3's, Hub4's ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

John,

From your description of your equipment I gather that you do not consider Superhub 2 very good WIFI router. Since you use it in modem mode plus an independent WIFI router. Would you recommend this as the way to go?

I do not have any specific reason for upgrading except the fact that I have had SH2 for many years and believe in upgrading as the matter of principle. Both software and hardware.

Regards

Bohumil

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you play online games using your broadband and don't need to change your Super Hub 2 for service reasons, then you're better off sticking with the SH2 to avoid introducing the Super Hub 3 Intel Puma 6 chipset defect into your environment. I've been running an SH2 for years in modem mode with various Asus routers. We're currently on the 200/20.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@bohumilf wrote:

John,

From your description of your equipment I gather that you do not consider Superhub 2 very good WIFI router. Since you use it in modem mode plus an independent WIFI router. Would you recommend this as the way to go?

I do not have any specific reason for upgrading except the fact that I have had SH2 for many years and believe in upgrading as the matter of principle. Both software and hardware.

Regards

Bohumil

Yes... I have never thought much of any ISP's combined modem/wireless/router combo's that they source for about 20 quid.  I needed more "sophisticated" functions - mainly the ability to set specific time windows for net access for all my 2 kids devices on schooldays/weekends/holidays - the Hub is useless at that.  Also I have always used Apple gear for wifi since the days of 56k modems and the original grey flying saucer that was the original Airport in 1999.  I like to have full control of my gear and the wifi network.

The SH2 is a perfectly good modem and ok for up to 200Mbps.  If you want a faster speed package you have to have a Hub3/4.  Also any swap you get if the Hub fails will be for a Hub3/4 as they run out of SH2's and dont repair them  As already said the Hub3 was plagued with latency issues on its release, that took them a year or more to fix via firmware updates - but at the time my lad was threatening severe retaliation if I... "upgraded to that piece of bleep".  Judging from reports on here the Hub4 also has its (different) teething troubles.

So it's modem mode all the way for me.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful
Bohumil
0 Kudos