Menu
jdmonc
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to M350 - Stuck at 100mb on PC/Ethernet

Hi all,

I have recently be upgraded to the M350 programe, and I can confirm using wifi on my ipad that I am recieving this.

However, my desktop computer is locked at 100 mbps.

*I am using a cat7 cable straight to the router

*I have a compatible nic in terms of it can take more than 100 mbps

*I am buying a second cable to check if this is the issue (I doubt it, but hey)

*I have updated drivers on the nic to the latest ones

* I have made sure auto disable gigabit is turned off under advanced settings on ethernet

---

I just want to make sure there is not something with the modem that I am missing, some setting that locks the ethernet port to 100 mb or something. Of course it could be the cable, but it is new enough only a few months, and gold plated / high quality.

Any help appreciated!!

0 Kudos
jdmonc
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to M350 - Stuck at 100mb on PC/Ethernet

Oh and I have also tried forcing my speed and duplex to 1 gig full duplex and also on auto negotiate, it doesn't seem to make any difference

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

With the new ethernet cable, connect directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers. Lots of posts on here where other devices connected at the same time can cause issues.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are also many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jdmonc
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It comes tomorrow so I will let you know. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
jdmonc
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can I just check though that there is no setting I need to update having moved from M100 to M350

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@jdmonc wrote:

*I am using a cat7 cable straight to the router

*I have a compatible nic in terms of it can take more than 100 mbps

*I am buying a second cable to check if this is the issue (I doubt it, but hey)

*I have updated drivers on the nic to the latest ones

* I have made sure auto disable gigabit is turned off under advanced settings on ethernet

have you checked that the link between hub and pc is actually negotiating at 1gb? you can see this in your connection properties on the pc or on the "connected devices" of the hub.. 

0 Kudos
jdmonc
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the reply

No it is negotiated at 100 mbps

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There's the issue then

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
jdmonc
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thank you for the response

Yes! This is the issue I am posting 😄

The computer nic is capable of 1gig, the cable is a good quality cat 7 cable, and the router I believe is capable, but I am wondering is there some setting within virgin that negotiates it at 100 mb. Maybe my understanding of negotiated is wrong, it appears under ethernet settings, speed 100 mb

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The only possibility is that the upgrade was never "applied"

Log into the Hub settings and find the "Configuration file/page" - look for the "Max Data Transfer Rate" boxes for downstream and upstream - what numbers are in there (in bps not Mbps) - that will show if you are indeed on the 350 service or still on 100.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos