Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to Hub3

Hi. Has anyone had any luck getting an upgraded router recently? Our internet is shocking and we have a 6 year old router. 

I tried this link 

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

But it said I had to call to arrange this and was then told it would cost £35 plus shipping even though it said if I call I can upgrade the hub for free?? 

I have spoken to 3 different people on the phone already and they have all said they cant authorise a free upgrade, now waiting for a call back from someone else. 

If anyone has been successful can you let me know how? I feel like a 6 year old router is definitely due an upgrade and being a loyal customer for a number of years i would expect this to be a lot easier than it has been! 

Thanks all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to Hub3

I have spoken to 3 different people on the phone already and they have all said they can authorise a free upgrade, now waiting for a call back from someone else. 

You’ve answered your own question already ^

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The person that is calling me back is going to do the same tests as the last person I spoke to. He said it would be unlikely he would be able to authorise the upgrade. 

I will edit my question as it was supposed to say 'can't authorise an upgrade' thanks for pointing that out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Do you actually have a Superhub - or just an old Hub3?

Replacement of SH1/2's is free. After all if it were..ahem... "broken" - they would simply send out a new Hub3 or a Techie without batting an eyelid.

Its probably newly recruited CS people (person!) that you have spoken with who doesn't know about the deal, so is afraid to "authorise" it in case they take the cost from his/her wages 🙂

A VM person on here will swap it for you when they get here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think I have an old hub 2? But I'm not sure to be honest. I'm still waiting for someone to call be back but it's been over 24 hours since I spoke to them now so I'm not holding my breath.

Fingers crossed someone from virgin will reply on here to get it sorted.

Thanks you your reply 😊

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They very rarely call back.
The Hub model is printed on its sticker.
Try another call and see if you get someone better clued up.
There are a few posts on here yesterday whereby a VM person responded saying to PM them and they would send out the Hub - I guess they just passed this thread by yesterday.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephmez, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry for any delay and confusion around the hub upgrade. Let us take a look and see what we can do to help. Just look out for my PM (the purple envelope) and please get back to me when you can.

Tom

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue, Hub 2ac from Dec 2014 and recently dropping/restarting and generally struggling with video calling working from home even with M100 speed.

@Tom_F is it possible to connect and see if an upgrade to Hub 3 is possible? Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi vicmeister,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to see you are having issues with your router, I have had a look our end and cannot see any issues at all, all you levels are where they should be, I can see the router has not been rebooted for over 27 days, pleases do a full reboot and so how things are after this.

Kind regards

Paul.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Paul, rebooted and did a quick check.

I work from home in a room where only the 2GHz can reach consistently (thanks to thick 1800s Glasgow tenement flat walls and not practical for ethernet connection) and during working hours of late the speeds have been sub 5Mps, meaning I've had consistent issues with Teams calls where screen-sharing or video are required even by others but not me. If I move to where 5Ghz is it's much better but alas it's not exactly workable with no desk/monitor etc. in those spots and it's starting to affect productivity and my boss is noticing and has commented on it, so am looking to sort things as soon as practical.

Just now (Saturday) I tested and got 20Mbps at work spot on 2GHz and 76Mbps on 5Ghz, so about a 2/3 to 3/4 difference, which no doubt is why when everyone is working from home during the week and speeds lower, I'm struggling in that spot. (tried to post the Ookla results but got html errors) I've bought and tried a third party T-Link  booster before but it didn't allow selection of the channel to boost so just connected to the 2GHz and no benefit so had to return it.

When I go through the Virgin WiFi boost options, that's where I get the option to upgrade to the Hub 3 with it's intelligent boost features, but like others I get the oops landing page saying it can't be done online, which is how I ended up here. Appreciate any help that can be provided, as we're busier than usual during COVID at work and unlikely to be returning to offices this year, if at all and we're only going to have more calls and the issue occurring more often, cheers!

0 Kudos