Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade now slower

I have a message - on login to my account - saying I've been upgraded to 200 Mbs.

Don't know when it happened but my speeds the last few days have been very slow (download of 0.64 Mbs) in the room I work in.  Normally it is very good.  Speeds are better in the room with the router, so perhaps it's a new-found range issue for some reason?.

Nothing in the house (e.g. router position, computer locations) has changed. Area Status suggests things OK. Any clues?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade now slower

What speeds do you get wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speeds would be good if wired to the hub.  The problem is that my computers operate on wireless (TV is hard wired) and they haven't been moved at all.  I have no new devices, but I'm suddenly experiencing MUCH lower speeds in the room that I use as an office.  Nothing has changed - no devices, computers in the same place, router in the same place.  Download speed yesterday was 0.64 Mb/s, Upload 1.44 Mb/s.  Not good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If wired speeds are fine then you need to optimise your wifi setup

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I will actively engage in trying to optimise the Wifi, but I would just like it to be back to what is was before last weekend.  I have had Telewest/Virgin Media to the house now for over 20 years and in that time things have worked well.  It's strange that coincident with a message that I'd been upgraded I suddenly lose service.  It does seem to be the range that's more limited but, again, I can think of nothing in the house that's changed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You can't change wifi back. It's entirely environmental and everything and anything can change it for better or worse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have been a customer of VM since 2008 and I was persuaded to upgrade to M200 from M100 on September after which my speed fell to 80mbps. Virginmedia then started a 30 day speed review re: Ofcom guidelines. 5 weeks after, I had heard nothing from VM. After managing to get through to a human, I was told that the results had been sent out via mail as they couldnt email me (dont ask me why they cant use email!). The results never arrived and since then, I have been unable to speak to technical via text or phone. I managed to get through to someone this morning who informs me that the speed test period didnt actually take place - when I challenged this, the line went dead. I cannot describe how angry I am at how dismissive VM are of their customers. I have posted my frustrations and have had responses from both BBC Watchdog and Ofcom. VM ..... PLEASE VALUE YOUR CUSTOMERS!!! and while I am at it, stop using the hastag #stayconnected as its utter nonsense.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ajm123 wrote:

I have been a customer of VM since 2008 and I was persuaded to upgrade to M200 from M100 on September after which my speed fell to 80mbps. Virginmedia then started a 30 day speed review re: Ofcom guidelines. 5 weeks after, I had heard nothing from VM. After managing to get through to a human, I was told that the results had been sent out via mail as they couldnt email me (dont ask me why they cant use email!). The results never arrived and since then, I have been unable to speak to technical via text or phone. I managed to get through to someone this morning who informs me that the speed test period didnt actually take place - when I challenged this, the line went dead. I cannot describe how angry I am at how dismissive VM are of their customers. I have posted my frustrations and have had responses from both BBC Watchdog and Ofcom. VM ..... PLEASE VALUE YOUR CUSTOMERS!!! and while I am at it, stop using the hastag #stayconnected as its utter nonsense.

Please do not hijack other threads

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Im not...its a related subject

0 Kudos