Menu
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade from Superhub 3 350mb to superhub 4 1gig - not even getting 500mb

Hi

Upgraded from Superhub 3/ 350mb package to superhub 4 / 1gig package.

Superhub 4 in modem mode. Cat6 cabling to Cisco ASA 5525x, HP Procurve 2810-48G

I cannot get any speeds past 500mb

Upload speeds a fine at 50mb

What sort of channels/ upstream / downstream should I be getting?

I have a fing box, which does 6 speed tests a day, and also I have an external monitor checking this.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/aeb427ea79b253cbf6d5db4f0b77eb12be... 

Showing worse latency than before.

Fing shows speeds not exceeding 500mb.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade from Superhub 3 350mb to superhub 4 1gig - not even getting 500mb

Duplicate post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-4-intermittent-access-to-192-168-1...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Kinda a separate issues - one is intermittent issues to the admin page on superhub 4

The other is poor external download speeds.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Testing samknows gets me:

RealSpeed_-_SamKnows.jpg

Connecting directly to the superhub 4 with cat6 in router mode gets the above

Connecting directly to my Cisco ASA 5525-x in router mode also gets me the same results.

I also have a fingbox, and the reports for this since I've upgraded to superhub 4+ 1gig shows max external speed at 550.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@c240amg wrote:

Testing samknows gets me:

RealSpeed_-_SamKnows.jpg

Connecting directly to the superhub 4 with cat6 in router mode gets the above

Connecting directly to my Cisco ASA 5525-x in router mode also gets me the same results.

I also have a fingbox, and the reports for this since I've upgraded to superhub 4+ 1gig shows max external speed at 550.

so speeds are fine according to the SamKnows reports on both the WAN and LAN side.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

So getting 1Gbps to the hub which is good.

One of the issues I see is the default Gigabit Ethernet has a potential frame throughput of 81000 per second and therefore a high throughput for actual data (about 118 MB/s), giving efficiency of 94%, or 940Mbps.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I take it that the 'Fingbox' works using Wi-Fi ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gig ethernet - am thinking that the fingbox can't test up to speeds of 1gb, even though it has a gig interface....

Still not getting as great speeds to my newsnet provider either..... Used to be able to get about 200-300mb download from it, but barely getting 150mb now.... something is definately slowly my downloads down..... Any ideas?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The SamKnows test shows you’re getting 1GB to the hub and 900+ to devices so your line is working fine. 

0 Kudos