I'm upgrading from M20 to M100 because I need the extra data now I'm working from home. I'm worried I'll hit my current data cap before the upgrade kicks in - I'm already over 80% and I suspect I've only got enough to last me a few days. I'd happily pay a bit to tide me over until the upgrade kicks in, I'm just worried I'm going to be hit with a big bill and I don't quite know what to do about it! I'm especially worried that there'll be a delay because they're sending out a TiVo box and might not do the rest of the upgrade until I've received it.
I'm not expecting it to have happened yet as I only placed the order yesterday; i'm just trying to work out if I'm going to have a problem and if so what i should do about it (especially with Virgin having issues with their contact centres).
30GB! Which was fine, as I don't play games or watch videos; but now I'm working from home and it's not going to be enough. The speed isn't causing me any issues at the moment to be quite honest, even with video conferencing. It's just the cap that's the problem.