Menu
antvix
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade from M100 to M200 wifi now half speed of what it was!

Hi All

Any help would be great as the so called technical support person at VM was blatantly reading from a script and had no clue what they were reading to me! 

I have just upgraded from M100 to M200 and before the upgrade the usual rubbish wifi from the Superhub 3 was normal but i did at least get a fairly stable speed around 100mbps down and 10mbps up when close enough to the router. After the upgrade wifi is now unstable and max 43mbps down (15mbps up). Hard wired I get 208mps down (20.1mbps up).

I can't figure out why this would happen as hard wired I get the correct speed but wifi literally halved the second the upgrade was put in place. Every device I have is now receiving slower speeds over wifi after the upgrade. which is a nightmare for a TV box upstairs that was already struggling with slow speeds due to the wifi from the superhub being so poor.

I've done the usual reset the "superhub" and change channels but no change.All devices on wifi were less than a metre from the "superhub" when doing speed test.

Any ideas anyone?

Many Thanks

Antony 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade from M100 to M200 wifi now half speed of what it was!

Have you split the Wifi bands?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
antvix
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No I haven't split them. Literally the superhub rebooted after the upgrade and the WiFi speed as halved rather than doubled. Hard wired the speed is 200+mbps but everything on wifi is slower than before the upgrade. I had done a speed test just before the upgrade so I know it's the upgrade that has affected the WiFi speeds.

I've done speed tests on all wifi devices and they won't go above 47mpbs max. 2 devices are on 5ghz other 6 devices on 2.4ghz.

I can't understand how upgrading the speed coming into the superhub would affect the WiFi speeds but it definitely has.

Any ideas? 

Cheers

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Split the bands and choose less congested channels. Then reboot the hub and check again after connecting devices directly to the 5Ghz band one at a time. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
antvix
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Gary

I gave it a go but made no difference the speed is still half of the speed I had before the upgrade. I can't see why making those changes would make any difference. The issue appeared immediately after the upgrade took place and the superhub rebooted. I hadn't changed any wifi settings from how the superhub was set pre the upgrade I'd already found quiet channels for my area.  The 200mbps is physically getting to the router then is ok over hardwired but over WiFi it is half of what I used to get when on 100mbps. It just doesn't make sense to me other than maybe the router didn't like the reboot after the upgrade and has crapped out on the WiFi side???

Any other ideas? 

Cheers

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can try a 60 second pinhole 

0 Kudos
antvix
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey 

Yeah already tried reset couple of times as requested by the VM not so technical advisor, made no difference.

Think I'll go down the root of getting an AP and turning off the crappy WiFi that these shockingly bad routers kick out just stick it in modem mode. How after 3 attempts of the hub they have managed to make them worse is beyond me. Can't get a good speed from it even sitting on it!!  I wonder what the not so "super" hub 4 is like....?

Cheers for your help anyways. I'll give the VM technical support team another call tomorrow to let them know that not looking at it for 24 hours (I guess it is shy) has made no bloody difference!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@antvix wrote:

Hey 

Yeah already tried reset couple of times as requested by the VM not so technical advisor, made no difference.

Think I'll go down the root of getting an AP and turning off the crappy WiFi that these shockingly bad routers kick out just stick it in modem mode. How after 3 attempts of the hub they have managed to make them worse is beyond me. Can't get a good speed from it even sitting on it!!  I wonder what the not so "super" hub 4 is like....?

Cheers for your help anyways. I'll give the VM technical support team another call tomorrow to let them know that not looking at it for 24 hours (I guess it is shy) has made no bloody difference!

Thankfully they dropped using the term “super” many years ago.

And yes going to modem mode with your own router or mesh system is the way to go. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@antvix wrote:

I can't understand how upgrading the speed coming into the superhub would affect the WiFi speeds but it definitely has.

You are not the only one I have seen posts like this, My theory is experts know about but the truth and is hard to explain, so its like this speed comes down docsis under the hub downstream rate limit into the wifi buffer but it can't transmit fast enough buffer fills packets drop you slow down speed up. What the hub might have done for 100Mb is buffer the packets and sending them at a slower rate to the wifi buffer either that or the buffer was set to be bigger.        

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos