Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Updating Broadband Account and Router Question

Been a VM customer for a good few years now with BB, TV and phone.

Have just had new aerial and freeview all sorted as want to cancel the tv and possibly phone but need to keep BB or upgrade.

I have a couple of question, I currently have the original super hub and whilst it hasn't been too bad, I just wondered do I keep that or get the latest hub when I update contract?

Also, whilst I haven't done it before, I am considering of using it in modem mode and getting a better router as the wifi is getting used more and more at home than ever before for streaming, phone and laptop use.

What sort of router should I be looking at to use with VM?

Thanks for any information forthcoming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Updating Broadband Account and Router Question

The SH1 is a museum piece now and so just go straight for the upgrade - there is a "free upgrade" to a Hub3 scheme in operation - see the link below.

Using your own router and wifi equipment is something a lot of people on here do and there are many ways and options to do it. You should post up what your actual requirements are for the router and for the wireless equipment (House size, layout, number of devices,etc) your level of expertise in setting things up and of course your budget (do you want a Ferrari or a Ford Fiesta?) and people will make suggestion

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm with jbrennand - buying your own router is the way to go. 

If you've got a medium or larger home with lots of devices connecting wirelessly in different locations then I'd recommend that you consider a mesh wifi solution (from £75 for a twin unit set), for smaller properties, of where you don't have that many wireless devices and/or you really need your full broadband speed delivered to a single device over wireless then a premium router may be a better bet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for both the replies, much appreciated.

It's a 2 bed terrace house so nothing too big and although my children come over quite regularly, it's usually just two of us at home using streaming box, mobiles, laptop and the like and obviously more mobiles when the kids are over so really, I would go the router route with a budget up to £100.

I should add that everything is used wirelessly other than the streaming box which is connected to the router via ethernet.

I currently get about 75mbps downstairs at least.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK - there are a few Asus and D-link (and others) routers in the £70-100 range that would serve you well. Just make sure it is a cable router, has 1GB ethernet ports, and MuMimo if possible.    e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DIR%E2%80%912660-MU-MIMo-Compatible-Protection/dp/B07Q6GNWGV/

Added advantage is that if you stick with the SH1 - it will give you simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi networks - which the SH1 doesnt (you have to "select" just one of them). Modern devices work much faster and are less interfered with on 5GHz.

Check back here with your options before buying so people can comment.

One "caveat" if you do decide to upgrade to the Hub3, then get it first and see how it performs for you before buying. Although many of the issues on here are down to the poor quality of the Hub3 - the truth is that it works just fine for most customers - including my mate around the corner who thinks its the bee's knees!  You can always stick that in modem mode if its poor for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers John,

Much appreciate that info, especially the bit about the simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi networks because I prefer the 5 GHZ for streaming and is a pain switching back and forth because my laptop only uses 2.4.

Will certainly do what you suggest and give the Hub 3 a go for a little while first.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK. You could always get a cheap USB wifi dongle with 5GHz capability for the laptop - only £5-10 from the usual places.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Could be worth looking into. Thanks again.

0 Kudos