Menu
Syndrew
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update Multiple Superhub 3 on network?

I have three Superhub 3 on a LAN, 192.168.0.1 gets automatic software updates being connected to the internet but the other two don't. These other two are acting as ethernet hubs to increase the wifi area and to give direct ethernet to desktops. 

So how can I update a Superhub 3 which isn't connected directly to the internet?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Update Multiple Superhub 3 on network?

don't think you can - they are updated over the WAN when connected directly to the coax cable.. VM doesn't know about / can't see the other two  

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ISP router firmware updates are usually delivered by CWMP TR-69 (you can look that up on the web).  An ACS will roll out firmware according to a schedule, often overnight.  AFAIK VM use this method.

The device needs to have a direct WAN connection and not be on your LAN behind a firewall etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Syndrew
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, i suspected as much, if i switch the hubs around so one of the others is connected to the WAN, will it get updated? 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the other hubs are unlikely to be activated for your account, and therefore unlikely to connect to the VM network.. you can try.. but don't be surprised if it doesn't work (and i wouldn't recommend it). 

i also have to ask where the other hubs came from? Hubs remain the property of VM at all times so unless they have replaced your hub (twice) in the past and VM have said that you can keep the previous one (which would be against the "norm") then you shouldn't have two spares.. 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Putting aside the ownership issue mentioned, I wonder if you could load an Arris firmware?  I'm just thinking outloud.  It maybe locked.

Also, what is the reason for wanting to update the firmware?

I use an old BT smart hub as an additional access point and live with the fact that it doesn't receive any updates as it's not on a BT line.  It's stable regardless - I'd only do something about it if it wasn't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@g0akc wrote:

It maybe locked.

time to bust out the SOIC programmer 😛

0 Kudos
Syndrew
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, i won't change it. 

They are still VM's property, can't say i remember where they came from but you wouldn't get one unless it's bundled, they are really basic.

0 Kudos
Syndrew
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This was triggered by VM saying they have improved the WiFi and I thought that might be a good thing but to to be fair it all works well and so messing with the network is more likely to open a can of worms. Cheers

jpeg1
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The best use for a redundant Hub3 is as a doorstop.

If you are only using them as WAPs then it's unlikely there are any critical updates that can improve performance. 

And why bother when there are far better access points available for not very much money?