Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

'Unstable internet connection' during Zoom and Whereby calls

Hi,  We have Virgin Broadband.  We are on the basic package, so apparently 54Mbps.  Virgin states that should be enough to stream videos.  I honestly don't have enough technical knowledge to know whether it is or isn't enough to do that.  We use Zoom and Whereby for meetings with family and friends.  The largest meeting has about 10 participants.  The smallest, just us and one other.  Regardless of size of meeting, I am getting a message stating, "Internet Connection is unstable".  "Your high CPU usage is affecting the meeting quality".  Others on the call receive messages about the unstable internet connection and that it is coming from me and that I am affecting the stability of the call!  I downloaded the app tonight to check the signal and apparently it is "Great" in all areas of the house.  I'm using a Chromebook for these meetings.  I'm wondering if I should upgrade, but will that make any difference? or is there another problem --  as things stand, what I'm paying for is advertised as being able to cope with more than I am asking, isn't it?

thanks,

Gillian 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'Unstable internet connection' during Zoom and Whereby calls

Also, while I've got you.  We also get a TV package as part of the bundle.  Quite often when we are watching TV the TV just suddenly switches itself to HDMI mode.  We then press 'TV' on the remote and it comes back to what we were watching.  We didn't have this problem with the previous TV provider, it started when we switched to Virgin.  What's that all about?

thanks

Gillian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your broadband speed should be fine for all these types of use.

There are a number of possible reasons why you might have problems so it's best to do some careful diagnostics to help determine where you problem lies.

1. Problem with your Virgin internet
2. Problem with your router
3. Problem with your WiFi
4. Problem with your Chromebook

Firstly, what type of Virgin router do you have? Do you know how to log into it using a Web Browser and have you ever done this?

Connecting to your router in this way could provide some insight into your problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

“Your high CPU usage is affecting the meeting quality"

This has nothing to do with your broadband. This is you computer itself. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem. On the call my Internet is unstable ans I lose sound and the video freezes. Other video conferencing services work fine. How do I test what the problem is with zoom? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @SLM6

Welcome  to our Community and thanks so much for your first ever post - very sorry that you're having some issues with your broadband at the moment.

You advise you're having the same issue. Do you also have a Chromebook and getting the same error message? Is it only with Zoom that you're having the issue? Are tyou connected via wired or WiFi connections?

Are you having issues with your broadband as a whole or only when you are on a video call? 

I have located your account from your forum information in order to take a closer look at your service from here. We can see that you attempted self checks at some point last week. I see that it has been almost a full 7 days since you last rebooted though so it looks like the self checks were not completed fully at the time. 

We currently have no known area issues in your region and no errors are showing on your services. All the signal levels are well within the parameters we expect for your package. 

If you're still having issues, please do pop back with more information about what you;re using and what the issue is and we'll go from there. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I use a lenovo ideapad via a wifi connection.  Its just on video call that its unstable, but then you wouldn't see it on anything else? I did do a full reboot, or at least it looked like i did?  

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for popping back @SLM6

Does this always happen when on the video call or was it just the once? Is it Zoom you are using? Have you tried it over a wired connection to see if that helps? 

Can you advise what you mean by unstable? 

I have refreshed the systems from here and it is still advising it has been almost a week since your Hub was rebooted. Please unplug and wait for at least 60 seconds before plugging back in. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It happens 99% of the time on video calls - on zoom or teams.  On Zoom - eveyone freezes and judders a message pops up - your internet connection is unstable. on teams - the same - JUST no message!

I cant use a wired connection  no ethernet ports on modern laptops!

I'll reboot the hub later

MANY THANKS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick reply this afternoon @SLM6

Are you able to test a wired connection via other device? You can also get Ethernet adapters to check a wired connection. We need to check a wired connection to see if it is the WiFi causing the issue or the broadband as a whole. 

Do you notice the issue happening when just using the internet other than calls? 

Let us know how the reboot goes and we can refresh this end for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos