Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unstable internet - Speed ok, Quality impossible

Hi All,

Hope everyone is keeping well.

I'm  at the end of my tether! Hope you can help!

My connection is terrible - on Ethernet cable or WiFi. Doesn't disconnect but appallingly slow

Engineer visits last year, all seems fine, no change

Engineer called back, makes some back end change / reset, and improvement for a short time then reverts to poor

Last week (SH3) swapped out, no improvement. Phone line also has stopped working so engineer visit, reconnect phone line and that now works, plus re-patched internet to top run in local cabinet plus signal boost.  Immediate improvement, very short lived as reverted to poor within hours

Switched to modem only mode with mesh access points - no difference, and tried different patch cables

This week continue to experience appalling access - apps hang, voip and VC almost unusable, very erratic, mostly says it's good (~80/8 Mbps) with c.12ms ping, but occasionally stats go off the chart.

Setup is NAS, 3x IP camera, home automation, network audio, couple of laptops and phone, Alexa etc .

Am monitoring via think broadband - see attached below. Hoping someone has any ideas?  I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue on the LAN.  Any suggestions for advanced troubleshooting via pc monitoring app?

Virgin 3rd line support, can you help? 1st line is useless, field support a waste of your money, please look into this.

Many thanks! 😭

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unstable internet - Speed ok, Quality impossible

Screenshot_20200423-021345__01.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to our Community Forum castleb and sorry to see you're experiencing ongoing internet issues. I've had a look at your network details but cannot see any problems or errors. If you have anything connected to your Hub either by ethernet or wireless, can you disconnect them from the Hub and see how your connection is? We need to see if there are any other factors that may be interfering with the Hub.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lisa

If I completely disconnect I'll have zero internet and not sure when you intend to look - can this be done at a specific time or can you call?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Btw - further update is that phone line not working again - no dial tone. Not sure if it's related.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Morning castleb,

I've run a few checks on your line and it's not something we're able to fix from here, I'll need to arrange an engineer visit. 

To reassure you, we’re asking our technicians to confirm they don’t have flu-like symptoms, aren’t self-isolating, and haven’t been to high-risk areas. If they answer yes, they won’t visit your home.

I've popped you over a private message so I can arrange this for you. (Purple envelope in the top right hand corner)

In regards to the Internet- What Lisa meant was can you disconnect all devices from your hub bar the one you're testing on (via Ethernet cable) to see if there are still issues 🙂

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi castleb, 

Thanks for getting back to me, can you confirm if your phoneline is now working since the technician visit?

When running diagnostics I'm not seeing any issues, you hub is within the specifications we would expect to see. 

Can you set up a BQM and let it run for at least 24 hours so we can see what you're getting?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alex, see here - it's been running a while.

Last 24hrs: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7e3a62ccdf290ab4b870a87312ff962b7bf09681-13-05-2020

Previous days:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7e3a62ccdf290ab4b870a87312ff962b7bf09681-13-05-2020

Live: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/57f89fa4e6ba67f4b44564fb53927cad6f939914

Please note that the graph shows some sort of outage but that wasn't the case from what I'm aware of. 

0 Kudos