Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Unstable Zoom

Hello all,

I moderate a weekly zoom meeting with about 30 people on it.

My Zoom connection drops out citing "unstable internet" and "low bandwidth" about every 15 minutes.

I have a 200 Mbps Virgin Media internet feed.  During a period of "unstable internet" I did an Ookla speed test and determined that I could see ~200 Mbps down and ~20 Mbps up.   So it would not appear to be a speed problem.

At this point,  the good folks from VM will say "ah well,  it's a problem with zoom".  I'm afraid not.  Other people on the call don't have the same problem.  Even with 20 Mbps links,  their zoom session is rock solid.

As a side effect of experimenting with VPN,  I determined that the Zoom session is quite happy with a 5 Mbps link - and I have far more than that during the periods of instability.

My home setup is the Virgin Media hub 3 is in modem mode (because I have various incoming connections),  and I have a commercial grade firewall (pfsense running on CheckPoint hardware).

It appears that the Virgin Media network is having some trouble handling Zoom traffic.

Is this true?

Best Regards,

Adrian Stephens - retired network engineer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unstable Zoom

Hello Adrian,

Sorry to hear you've been unable to "Zoom" successfully. Can I ask whether you've tried a different video conferencing app to see whether it's the same? Also if it's still in modem mode, can you put it back into router mode and leave it like that so we can check the details on our end?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried wiring direct to the hub and seeing what the quality is like?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hello Lisa,

On Sunday,  since I wrote my original post,  I had a 1.5 hour Zoom call with 30 participants with no problems noted at my end.
If this carries on,  I will be delighted.

Prior to the call,  I had replaced my pfsense firewall running on a virtual machine on a Xeon server with oodles of RAM for
pfsense running on a rather elderly Checkpoint firewall.   I don't know if that made any difference.

I have to use modem mode because I have incoming connections to my mail system and webserver.    Because the Hub
doesn't allow the internal IP address to be specified,  and because my internal network uses 10.1.1.x,  performing any 
experiment is going to be disruptive.  I'll wait until the problem re-appears and then engage to do some debugging.

Best Regards,

Adrian Stephens

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi adrianstephens, 

Thank you for your last message. 

Glad to hear you've been able to have a successful zoom session. Please get back in touch if you do experience the same issues again in the future, or need help with anything else 🙂

Many thanks, 

Hetty

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue using Zoom, weekly meetings with about 20 people, they all have 100% connections but EVERY time i'm on the call, it drops out with "unstable Internet Connection" I have 500MB broadband, am hardwired via CAT 7 cable, no other issue's with anything else so has to be router setting or something, I also use Teams occasionally and don't get any issue's here, is it a port setting maybe? Need urgent help with this as it is very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hello BloodstockUK,    are you using modem mode?

I am.  If you are not,  that is better evidence of a problem with the Virgin Media network.

Best Regards,

Adrian Stephens

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode still puts it out over the same network though.
All that changes is your Public IP. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm not no as i use the WIFI Network alongside a MESH network as i do have a lot connected, I don't get any issue with any other internet service, i have cameras, kids are constantly streaming no issue's, If i do a speed est during the Zoom call i'm pulling over 400MB no problem, but still get the cutting out on ZOOM and also the message about unstable internet connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

What mesh system is it?

0 Kudos