Menu
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 21 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unstable Zoom - Please help me diagnose/maybe fix with a new router?

Hi there starfish80, 

Thanks for coming back to us via the Community and for the extra information. 

I have double checked the Hub and the stats relating to the WiFi and things are looking good. There are a few devices showing that they are too close to the Hub on the band their are on so it may be worth splitting the WiFi bands and connecting the devices to the best one for that device. 

To do this, follow these steps: 

•    Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
•    Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
•    Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
•    Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
•    Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
*    Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable

There's nothing to suggest one of our WiFi pods would improve things since the devices aren't showing any coverage issues for the last 7 days.

Let us know how you get on after splitting the connections. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 22 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi there starfish80, 

Thanks for coming back to us via the Community and for the extra information. 

I have double checked the Hub and the stats relating to the WiFi and things are looking good. There are a few devices showing that they are too close to the Hub on the band their are on so it may be worth splitting the WiFi bands and connecting the devices to the best one for that device. 

To do this, follow these steps: 

•    Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
•    Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
•    Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
•    Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
•    Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
*    Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable

There's nothing to suggest one of our WiFi pods would improve things since the devices aren't showing any coverage issues for the last 7 days.

Let us know how you get on after splitting the connections. 

Thanks,

Hi Kath, thanks for your response.

Can you specifically please answer the question I raised yesterday about why my speed is dropping so much when I connect to Zoom, especially via wifi as it's this combination that makes the service unusable? I am not techie enough to understand why this is happening? 

I have also conducted a couple more tests today as I got the 'connection unstable' message working over wifi in my office - download speed was 21mb. I went downstairs straight away and tested through direct ethernet, and got 80mb and no further unstable issues.

Thanks also for your response about splitting the network bands. Can you explain a bit more what you mean about devices being 'too close to the hub' on the band they are on? The hub, like a lot of people is in the lounge, so is close to the TV/Nintendo Switch, but there aren't any other devices that are close to the hub? If you split the network how do you know which band is best to use for each device? At this stage I don't want to rush to split out the networks until I have a better understanding re: my questions above.

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 23 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us on this starfish80. 

As you've mentioned the issues are happening when off the VPN and using the network and also happening outside of Zoom I've taken this as though it's an over all issue which I why I checked your connection. If this is happening when using your devices then it would naturally happen on Zoom too. 

It can get quite complicated when talking about the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands as it can depend on the device itself however in a nutshell, the 5Ghz band is better to connect to when in direct line of the hub and the 2.4Ghz is better to connect to for further away however depending on the equipment or device, it may not like a connection with one of them. It's pretty much a trial and error process. 

Based on what you've said and the way your network and Hub currently look, this is the next step to try. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 24 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F wrote:

Thanks for coming back to us on this starfish80. 

As you've mentioned the issues are happening when off the VPN and using the network and also happening outside of Zoom I've taken this as though it's an over all issue which I why I checked your connection. If this is happening when using your devices then it would naturally happen on Zoom too. 

It can get quite complicated when talking about the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands as it can depend on the device itself however in a nutshell, the 5Ghz band is better to connect to when in direct line of the hub and the 2.4Ghz is better to connect to for further away however depending on the equipment or device, it may not like a connection with one of them. It's pretty much a trial and error process. 

Based on what you've said and the way your network and Hub currently look, this is the next step to try. 

Thanks,

Thanks Kath. Just to clarify (I know this thread has got quite long now!), the issues are only happening when using Zoom (both on/off VPN and across multiple devices). For any other activity - web browsing, online gaming, streaming there is no issue at all. From my first thread, note there is never any issue when I connect to Zoom when tethering data from my non Virgin mobile, so it's not Zoom itself.

Just wanted to double check that would still be right to split the connection in this case? You can tell, I'm not looking forward to this task 🙂

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 25 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Ah right OK, I'm with you now. Thanks for clarifying that for me starfish80. 

So the issue you are having is only with Zoom. Due to this, if everything else is working fine on the WiFi connection there'd be no need to split the networks. If there were issues going forward then that can be something to look at. 

With regards to the current connection, when using any application, it would slow the speed so it may be worth connecting the device via an ethernet cable when using Zoom to help strengthen the connection to avoid drop outs. It will also help to ensure you are not running any other programmes where possible. I know this may not be ideal however as the Hub is performing fine for everything else there isn't much more we could suggest. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 26 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F wrote:

Ah right OK, I'm with you now. Thanks for clarifying that for me starfish80. 

So the issue you are having is only with Zoom. Due to this, if everything else is working fine on the WiFi connection there'd be no need to split the networks. If there were issues going forward then that can be something to look at. 

With regards to the current connection, when using any application, it would slow the speed so it may be worth connecting the device via an ethernet cable when using Zoom to help strengthen the connection to avoid drop outs. It will also help to ensure you are not running any other programmes where possible. I know this may not be ideal however as the Hub is performing fine for everything else there isn't much more we could suggest. 

Thanks,

Thanks for clarifying Kath. I definitely noticed a difference using the ethernet cable, so we'll purchase one of those. Still given at many points in the week we have two of us working on computers/Zoom in different parts of the house, it won't be possible for us both to rely on ethernet cables.

Given the speed via wifi is at some points much lower than the direct ethernet link, is it worth considering connecting a third party router to boost network speeds (and therefore help reduce stability issues?) I appreciate that you say the hub is working fine, but if this is something that will help I don't mind doing this.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Just to butt in again - why is it not possible for two of yous to be zooming on ethernet connected devices at the same time - as you have discovered it is far the best way to do it.

20/30/50 metre runs of Cat5e or 6 ethernet cable are less than a tenner. just plug them into the Hub (or unmanaged GB switch) and then trail the cable over the floor upstairs etc, etc...  to the devices and then after zooming ends , just roll them up and put into a cupboard until next time.

my neighbour does this twice a week with no issues at all 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Of course starfish80, that is always an option. 

Many of our customers prefer to use their own WiFi router or system. You can do this by purchasing a third party router, connect that to your Hub using the port that is labelled 1 and then switch your Hub to 'Modem Mode'. This link will show you how to do that: How do I put the Hub into modem mode?

Once that is set up you can connect to your own wireless network then that is with the router. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 29 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

Just to butt in again - why is it not possible for two of yous to be zooming on ethernet connected devices at the same time - as you have discovered it is far the best way to do it.

20/30/50 metre runs of Cat5e or 6 ethernet cable are less than a tenner. just plug them into the Hub (or unmanaged GB switch) and then trail the cable over the floor upstairs etc, etc...  to the devices and then after zooming ends , just roll them up and put into a cupboard until next time.

my neighbour does this twice a week with no issues at all 🙂

Thanks John, that's a good point. It would only need to be 'out' during the work day and when my son is at school so definitely an option. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 30 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F wrote:

Of course starfish80, that is always an option. 

Many of our customers prefer to use their own WiFi router or system. You can do this by purchasing a third party router, connect that to your Hub using the port that is labelled 1 and then switch your Hub to 'Modem Mode'. This link will show you how to do that: How do I put the Hub into modem mode?

Once that is set up you can connect to your own wireless network then that is with the router. 

Thanks, 

Thanks Kath I'll look at that too.