Menu
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 11 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unstable Zoom - Please help me diagnose/maybe fix with a new router?

@sophist wrote:

@starfish80 wrote:

Errr, I think I've just realised I need to leave the existing ethernet cable between hub and tv box and get a second one to link hub to laptop.

Will order one from Amazon and test later this week. Is that right?

Told you my knowledge was limited! 

yes - or, if you wanted to test it today, you could disconnect the ethernet cable from the tv box and plug it into your laptop.. it obviously needs to be connected to the hub at the other end (i say obviously, but perhaps it isn't 🙂 )

Thanks @tehwolf it's working! I've run some basic tests and am going to compare to when I'm on a Zoom call via Ethernet later this morning. Will report back...

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 12 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Results are in...

Running web browser/Outlook only

Direct Ethernet cable into laptop 208.7MB download, 21.0MB upload

Wifi connection in front room (where Hub 3.0 is) 203.2MB download, 21.0MB upload 

Wifi connection upstairs office 175.5MB download, 21.0MB upload (Note, yesterday I saw download speeds in this location drop to 132.5MB download at worst, but also hovering around 160-175MB)

While on Zoom call with video

Direct Ethernet cable into laptop 49.3MB download, 20.5MB upload

Wifi connection in front room (where Hub 3.0 is) 42.4MB download, 20.7MB upload

Wifi connection upstairs office 36.9MB download, 20.6MB upload (Note, yesterday I saw download speeds in this location drop to 22.4MB download at worst and video conference was stalling a bit. Haven't seen any 'Your internet connection is unstable' message in the last two days)

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi starfish80,

Thanks for getting back to us, can you confirm if you're using a VPN when using Zoom?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 14 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I've just been in contact with my work IT service desk to find out. 

Yes I'm connecting to a VPN to access Zoom in work hours via Zscaler.

However, I have also been getting the same 'connection unstable' issues when joining dance classes via Zoom. This is using my personal laptop and therefore without ever using a VPN. Also, I've just checked with my husband and he too is getting intermittent 'connection unstable' issues on his personal Chromebook laptop for work video calls, again no VPN involved.

He's suggested that it sounds like its not a speed issue but likely a bandwidth issue if it's happening outside of a VPN connection on a number of devices.

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 15 of 32
Flag for a moderator

You say that you haven’t had the unstable message for a couple of days, presumably that is both over WiFi (yesterday) and wired today? 

you have ample bandwidth for a couple of zoom calls to run concurrently, I have the same 200mb service and have had three concurrent zoom/teams sessions on the go before now with no noticeable issues.. 

If this was a common enough occurrence that you felt you had to post here about it you should get some confidence pretty quickly about whether the wired connection has improved things.. if it has, you’re left with the option of continuing with a wired connection or investing in better WiFi equipment. 

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 16 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@sophist wrote:

You say that you haven’t had the unstable message for a couple of days, presumably that is both over WiFi (yesterday) and wired today? 

you have ample bandwidth for a couple of zoom calls to run concurrently, I have the same 200mb service and have had three concurrent zoom/teams sessions on the go before now with no noticeable issues.. 

If this was a common enough occurrence that you felt you had to post here about it you should get some confidence pretty quickly about whether the wired connection has improved things.. if it has, you’re left with the option of continuing with a wired connection or investing in better WiFi equipment. 

TBH Tehwolf it’s difficult to know as I’ve not seen a clear ‘breaking up terribly on WiFi’, ‘perfect on Ethernet’ scenario this week 😬

I’m also keen to understand why the broadband speeds are dropping so much when I’m using Zoom? Is that just demand on the service or does it indicate a problem? 

Looking at the figures posted, although lower, I’m not losing that much speed whilst on WiFi rather than Ethernet for standard web browser usage. So not sure if a new router would help? 

Working permanently via Ethernet wouldn’t be an easy fix. I need to work upstairs at my desk but all the equipment is downstairs, better for our leisure usage. Two of us also need to reliably use Zoom concurrently at times and can’t work in the same physical location in the house.

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 17 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Also meant to say thanks for all the help too @tehwolf 

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 18 of 32
Flag for a moderator

All sensible questions and not ones that I can answer with much conviction I’m afraid. 

I suspect that the reasons for the drops in speed are because the hub is a low end device and struggles to deal with it, but that’s conjecture on my part. I’ve not used the hub as a router for many years. I don’t suffer from the same issues in my network.

The difference between ethernet and WiFi may be consistency rather than a point in time speed test. Ethernet with be a nailed on 1gb between device and hub, WiFi is variable and susceptible to interference from many different sources. 

0 Kudos
starfish80
Tuning in
Message 19 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@sophist wrote:

All sensible questions and not ones that I can answer with much conviction I’m afraid. 

I suspect that the reasons for the drops in speed are because the hub is a low end device and struggles to deal with it, but that’s conjecture on my part. I’ve not used the hub as a router for many years. I don’t suffer from the same issues in my network.

The difference between ethernet and WiFi may be consistency rather than a point in time speed test. Ethernet with be a nailed on 1gb between device and hub, WiFi is variable and susceptible to interference from many different sources. 

Thanks kindly @tehwolf Are you using a third party router and then hub in modem mode? 

Maybe Alex the Forum guy may come back tomorrow after asking me the VPN question and may know more?

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 20 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@starfish80 wrote:

Thanks kindly @tehwolf Are you using a third party router and then hub in modem mode? 

Maybe Alex the Forum guy may come back tomorrow after asking me the VPN question and may know more?

Yup, along with access points that are wired in to provide reliable wifi for the stuff that needs it.

perhaps - the fact that you've been getting the same issue on another device that isn't connected to the VPN says otherwise though 🙂

you mentioned earlier that today was a good day to be testing it because it would only be you using it.. it would probably be a better test if you had "normal" load when the issues occur - i.e. your husband using the connection at the same time.. 

0 Kudos