Menu
Ianb3
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unsightly dangerously cable. Needs removing

Hi I moved to this house six months ago.  There is a Virgin cable up my front wall and then across the garden in a green plastic tube, along the side of my garden and then round to the front of my house where it enters the property.  I want to change my garden and stop the cable being a hazard.  Can it be removed?  

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unsightly dangerously cable. Needs removing

Possibly. Are you a customer?

either way, it may come with a £99 callout charge to do.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Each property owner has their own choice where the Virgin socket is fitted. Some prefer front room while others prefer rear conservatory.

I would remove the cables and when you want their service pay about £30 for a engineer to come round and install news cable.

See if you can find a junction box similar to this. The cable coming out from ground should not be touched but anything after that going into your property can. If you open the box you can actually unscrew the cable joint.

Socket.jpeg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

its the cable on the home side of the inside white box you can remove. you shouldn't be removing the cables between the inside and outside box
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@sayekm wrote:

Each property owner has their own choice where the Virgin socket is fitted. Some prefer front room while others prefer rear conservatory.

I would remove the cables and when you want their service pay about £30 for a engineer to come round and install news cable.

See if you can find a junction box similar to this. The cable coming out from ground should not be touched but anything after that going into your property can. If you open the box you can actually unscrew the cable joint.

Socket.jpeg

No you can’t touch any of the cabling at all. 

And they charge a set £99 fee, not £30. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am assuming OP is not paying for any Virgin service.

They charge a fee of £99 if you have service with Virgin. 

If OP does not have Virgin service, Virgin won't even send a engineer out even if you offered them £99.

If the OP later does decide to have Virgin service its £30 engineer install or if you shop around like i did free engineer install 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos