Menu
CharlesL71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unreliable and slow fibre broadband speed

Hi, I have had a 100Mbs fibre link for a year and can't think that I have ever had that download speed. The speed is so slow and unreliable that (even when I am alone and the only device connected) I cannot use it for video calls on Teams, Zoom, etc. Even with audio-only calls it fades out every couple of minutes. I have logged calls often but the problem has never been resolved. I have downloaded the Virgin Media Connect App and scanned the wifi signals - no problems. I have just received my new bill and my broadband costs have doubled for the new year. Any suggestions on how to find where the problem is - doesn't seem to be the hub (done factory reset often), doesn't seem to be wifi signal, done the diagnostics, not sure where to go from here ? I am not prepared to pay double for another year of this unreliable and slow connection 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unreliable and slow fibre broadband speed

You need to speedtest on a wired connection.

Wireless connections and speeds are not guaranteed.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
CharlesL71
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Great suggestion. Thanks. 100+Mbs download speed on wired. 25Mbs download on wifi (50cm away from the hub). Now I know the source of the problem. Any suggestions on what to check to see what the problem is with the wifi ? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What device are you using on the wireless? Is it a phone/laptop/tablet etc.?

And what is the make and model of the device?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
CharlesL71
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Multiple devices - I tested on a laptop running Windows 10. I also ran a speed test over wifi on my phone (Samsung Android). Similar results (for wifi) on both

0 Kudos
CharlesL71
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My phone is Samsung SM-G973F running Android 10
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you know if you're connecting to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band?

Have you split the Wi-Fi bands by renaming them in the hubs admin pages?

0 Kudos
CharlesL71
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wifi is 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz was disabled. I enabled it and tried again - then got 5Mbs download. I haven't changed anything else from the defaults it came with. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Those speeds are about right for the 2.4Ghz band then.

If you disable the 2.4Ghz and just enable the 5Ghz what speed do you get?

We know it's not a line issues as you get full speeds when wired.

CharlesL71
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have suffered for a year with this and you have cracked it in a couple of minutes !! 100+Mbs download speed on wifi when I disabled 2.4Ghz. Thank you so much 👍

0 Kudos