cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown connection 2

Genk
On our wavelength

Based on the previous post, I found that the connection is to Ethernet, but not to Wi-Fi. But our home doesn’t connect to Ethernet. We are using the Wi-Fi connection only.

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

Do not be tempted to pause any unknown devices - you may block yourself !

The unknown device will be one of your family's mobiles or laptops or the VPNs of these devices.

Current laptops and mobile phones support MAC Address Randomisation. This means the devices may change its MAC Address and cause the Hub or Connect app to have no idea what the device might be.

Unless you have shared your WI-Fi password, you can be assured no one else will be able to connect to your Hub.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Genk 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of the Ethernet issues. 

When you say it doesn't connect via Ethernet, what happens please when you connect a device direct to the hub? Is there no internet at all?

Can you try and connect both Ethernet cable sides to the ports on the router - does anything light up?

Keep me posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Genk
On our wavelength

Hi, John, actually I don't have any device needed to be connected direct to the hub so far.

Green light is up near the ports when I follow what you told me.

Cheers.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Genk 👋

Thanks for the clarification on this. The checks you've completed identify that the Hub ports are working as expected. I've taken a look on our side and cannot see the Ethernet connection you're mentioning, which indicates that this may be a visual error you are seeing. Where are you seeing this connection? Is it in the Connect App or the Hub Settings?

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have an iPhone or iPad get the "Net Analyzer " app, it’s free, and can give good stats of your network.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Genk
On our wavelength

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I had 5 devices in total, but it showed 6 connections. I could identify all my 5 devices but not the unknown one. Actually, I have shared the password with my friend, but the device was not at home at that time.

Genk
On our wavelength

Hi Reece, thank you for your reply. It is in the Connect App.

Genk
On our wavelength

Hi Tudor, thank you for your suggestion.

Hi Genk,

Thank you for reaching back out, the App may still show devices which were previously connected, what you can do to remove all devices and clear the list is a pin reset, push a pin in the reset hole at the back of the Router, keep pushed in for a full 1 minute, once done allow 15 minutes to settle.

Regards

Paul.