Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unexplained high broadband data usage

Virgin Best Bits tells me I used 85Gb of data last month. This seems extraordinarily high. I use Google Chrome and Safari for web browsing. I do not stream or play online games. Looking at my SuperHub 3.0, there are no unexpected/unidentified devices connected to my network (2 phones, a laptop, TV and printer) Any advice on how I can track down what I am unwittingly doing that is so data hungry?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unexplained high broadband data usage

Hello

Thats isn't that high works out at about 3Gb of data a day, browsing can use that amount of data a day as well as emails, updates do you use any of the On Demand services for your TV box as that will eat up network data.

Depending on the phone you can check how much data is used.

On Android - Goto settings, connections and then data usage there is a wifi section.

On a computer - You would need a app or program to do that.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike.

I only watch Netflix very occasionally (maybe once a month).  I also connect to my files on my employer's network server  by VPN.

The reason I am concerned is that I will be working away over the lockdown period and the accommodation currently has no broadband available. I intend to use my phone as a 4G hotspot and wanted an estimate of my typical usage. I naively thought  6-10Gb would be plenty. Hence 85Gb was a bit of a shock!

BW

Laurence

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

On Windows 10 it can be done from the device goto too Settings - Network & Internet - Status this will allow you to check the data usage if connected by Ethernet or Wireless from there you can also check how much data is being used by each app by clicking on Data Usage.

Also to add that even access your work by VPN will use data as well.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos