Menu
dld99
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Understanding mesh networks

Hi all, I got a tp-link Deco M4 pair, as we've been getting huge drop-off lately with the Superhub and power line extenders. £90 so not going to break the bank, and I can extend if needed.  Putting the SH into modem mode and setting up the Deco units was a doddle, some nice utilities in their manager app.

Question: both the main unit and the satellite are using the same WiFi channel, on both 2.4 and on 5Ghz, and I can't work out why. I'm hoping one of you people will shed some light.  I would have expected the pair to use one optimal channel for backhaul, and another for devices.  If I add more devices, are they all going to be using the same channel? That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Full test tomorrow with everyone at home working, will see if we have less issues!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Understanding mesh networks

What do you mean by “channel”?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@dld99 wrote:

Hi all, I got a tp-link Deco M4 pair, as we've been getting huge drop-off lately with the Superhub and power line extenders. £90 so not going to break the bank, and I can extend if needed.  Putting the SH into modem mode and setting up the Deco units was a doddle, some nice utilities in their manager app.

Question: both the main unit and the satellite are using the same WiFi channel, on both 2.4 and on 5Ghz, and I can't work out why. I'm hoping one of you people will shed some light.  I would have expected the pair to use one optimal channel for backhaul, and another for devices.  If I add more devices, are they all going to be using the same channel? That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Full test tomorrow with everyone at home working, will see if we have less issues!

The M4 doesn't have a dedicated radio for backhaul. You need the more expensive M9 (i think) to get the dedicated backhaul.

So yes, they will be sharing the same channel.. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

From what I know the tp-link Deco M4 do not have a dedicated backhaul only by wire does it do that.

The Multy U does tri-band WiFi with dedicated backhaul which cost more.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
dld99
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok taa. 

Still troubleshooting a little. I set a broadband quality monitor up yesterday before the swap, to get a measure of any changes. Since swapping to modem mode + Deco, I've just got dropped packets. Created a new one this morning as assigned IP was different, but that's also blank. I can't see any options in the Hub to disable/enable ping, nor in the Deco.

Secondly, despite fast connections when testing, I had a lot of dropouts this morning. Have rebooted the hub, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm now wondering whether the hub itself was the source of my woes.

0 Kudos
Brava210
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using Deco's will not allow a BQM to work, it will just show Red because the Deco do not have the option to

allow pinging to The server

Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990