cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to dynamic ip

Knin3
Joining in

Hi guys,

I cant seem to connect to a dynamic ip, I have a horrible feeling ive been hacked and im connecting to a server of some sort, but if I try to make my ip dynamic I just lose connection and can not connect to the default gateway. Anyone able to help me plz

15 REPLIES 15

g0akc
Problem sorter

What network settings are you using on the pc?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

How do you mean network settings, thing with me is im not clever with networks so if you can be clear id appreciate that. I have all upnp n push pin etc disabled, wireless is enabled. I just want to use a dynamic ip so everytime I connect my ip is different and I  can feel secure. The only time ive noticed that is when I first t ryed it the other day, now no matter the setting in the hub it remains the same. Do you think this warrants a virgin call out?

Is nord vpn meant to be private, I mean it stands for virtual private network does it not? It says in windows its public along with my other network, and even if I change the other network to private eventually it switches back on its own accord it seems

Thankyou guys

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Knin3 wrote:

How do you mean network settings, thing with me is im not clever with networks so if you can be clear id appreciate that. I have all upnp n push pin etc disabled, wireless is enabled. I just want to use a dynamic ip so everytime I connect my ip is different and I  can feel secure.

Having your LAN IP change will not make you secure as you NAT out the same WAN IP that does not change for years.

---------------------------------------------------------------

g0akc
Problem sorter

By ‘network settings’ I meant what are the adapter settings on the PC - is it set to obtain an IP address automatically or have you set it to a static one (it sounds like you have).

It needs to be on automatic, with dns etc. on automatic to use DHCP.

so IP address, subnet mask, gateway, dns etc.  how set?

there’s details online if you don’t know how to check

e.g    https://help.keenetic.com/hc/en-us/articles/213965929-How-to-change-the-network-adapter-settings-in-...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

And I’m afraid of what you are trying to do here.

Using a VPN does a number of things including making your connection anonymous, changing your public IP address, making you appear to be in another country if you wish, and protecting sensitive data - I’m not sure what you think it does in terms of making things ‘private’ in terms of networking.

In networking your LAN might be considered private.  A VPN might extend that to say a work network - but that’s usually when connecting to a company servers using IPSEC  - with a service like Nord VPN you’re more likely coming out on a public IP address that’s different to the one VM have assigned to your hub/router.  Read about NAT if you’re interested.

The weirdest thing just happened, as you know I said although id put the hub on dynamic settings the ip remained static. Well ive been playing games for a gd part of the day and then all of a sudden mid game I lose connection, I quickly go and type ipconfig and sure enough my ip is now dynamic but the default gateway is unreachable. How or why this would change on its own I got no idea. Anyway when I ran a diagnostic it said im unable to make that connection due to group policy and I should contact my administrator. Ive never used group policy so have no idea why that would be blocking it. Any idea where to look, Im on windows 10 aswell. It also says im connected to a unidentified public network in network sharing center, is this normal?

Thanks again for your help.