cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change Hub 4 DHCP IP Range

SlackAunt
Tuning in

I just got my Hub 4 and I need to change the DHCP range to avoid clashing with the office ranges when I VPN to work, and although the option is there, and it says it's doing it, it eventually just comes back with the error:

"The starting IP address you have entered is used for other functions of the Hub 4. Please enter another"

I have tried loads of different ranges, and I get the same error every time!

Screenshot_20210824-133541.jpg

 even weirder is that one of my colleagues just got the same router and he was able to change it straight away!

28 REPLIES 28

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Starting address should end in 1 of a range, but I think you are perhaps entering it in the wrong place. On a closer look this is just the DHCP range. Unfortunately I run in modem mode on my Hub4, so I cannot check what the settings are.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Is the default starting address something like 192.168.0.10? If so the DHCP reservation range is 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.145, and if you want an address outside this range I suggest something like 192.168.0.2.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jem101
Superstar

@SlackAunt wrote:

I just got my Hub 4 and I need to change the DHCP range to avoid clashing with the office ranges when I VPN to work, and although the option is there, and it says it's doing it, it eventually just comes back with the error:

"The starting IP address you have entered is used for other functions of the Hub 4. Please enter another"

I have tried loads of different ranges, and I get the same error every time!

Screenshot_20210824-133541.jpg

 even weirder is that one of my colleagues just got the same router and he was able to change it straight away!

To be honest, that really should work OK, the hub will then set it's own LAN address to be 192.168.25.1 in your example, well at least the Hub 3 does so I would have thought that the 4 would be the same, especially as one of your colleagues has managed it.

You might try factory resetting the Hub via the little button just to rule out some oddball firmware weirdness.

Yes, the default is 192.168.0.10 and I can change the 10 and that works. But it's the 0 which I need to be able to change, to avoid the clash with work, and even though it gives me the option to do so, it just complains when I save it.

Yeah, I might have to try a reset. But I was hoping someone would have an easier solution, like you can only change it on a wired connection (already tried that!) or you can only change it when there is nothing hard wired to it (tried that, too!).

A reset is always a pain, tho, coz there's always someone using it!

there's conflicting advice about this around here. i've seen staff state categorically that the hub address and dhcp range cannot be changed (well, change of subnet anyway...), and yet i've also seen users state that they updated the dhcp range and it re-addressed the hub to 192.168.x.1

dont know what to believe to be honest, but i suspect if you can't get it to work, you'll hit a brick wall with support.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If it don't work you can get your own router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I know that's an option. But it's stupid that the option is there, but I can't use it!

I think it's fairly early days for this router, but with so many people working from home now, this is an issue Virgin really need to get on top of fast if they want to roll the Hub 4 out widely.

I don't want to be forced to buy more equipment for everyone in my office to be able to do something you should already be able to do.

If one of your colleagues managed to do it OK then it can’t be a systemic issue but rather something local to the hub you have. Annoying as it it, do try the pinhole reset first though.