Menu
Ness1
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unable to access sites

Has anyone been experiencing issues when trying to access certain sites via their broadband? 
I have an example attached. 
I have to turn my wifi off my phone and use my mobile phone network instead. 
Any

F473FD95-4FFD-410B-8C30-A420E33F948B.png

advice would be great. 
Thank you 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to access sites

The error/reference is from Akamai, a content delivery network.

check your IPs reputation score at https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup

suspect that it's because they have you down as a threat / poor reputation - you can request that this be reviewed at the same link.  

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @sophist

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

This may be down to the child safe option, can you try disabling this in your hub settings and seeing if this fixes the issue?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Travis_M wrote:

Hi @sophist

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

This may be down to the child safe option, can you try disabling this in your hub settings and seeing if this fixes the issue?

Regards

Guessing you meant to tag OP rather than me, travis?

whilst I’m always happy to be educated, I stand by my initial assessment of the error based on the screenshot provided. I don’t believe that this is web/virus safe related.

Also, unless things have changed, disabling web/virus safe is something done in my virgin media, not the hub settings?

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey @sophist,

Yes Travis did mean to tag the op rather than yourself, I apologise for that.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Ness1
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is becoming very frustrating. I still cannot access the site I need or use my play station. Keeps being blocked. I need to get off this IP address. I don’t even know who Akamai are and I’ve tried to access the link recommended and it says page not found. Any ideas why I’m suddenly being blocked on sites I’ve always used up until now? If I have to change provider, I will, as this keeps happening too often

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Ness1 wrote:

This is becoming very frustrating. I still cannot access the site I need or use my play station. Keeps being blocked. I need to get off this IP address. I don’t even know who Akamai are and I’ve tried to access the link recommended and it says page not found. Any ideas why I’m suddenly being blocked on sites I’ve always used up until now? If I have to change provider, I will, as this keeps happening too often

If this is a problem that comes and goes then it's possible (likely, even) that you have something on your network that is infected with malware.  If this is the case then a new IP address won't help you and neither will changing provider because the malware will continue to trigger the low reputation.  You need to investigate possible causes on your network - start by running a virus scan on your devices and see if they show anything...

The reputation score that Akamai holds for your IP address has nothing to do with VM. 

from the Akamai website (since you seem unable to access it...)

Description

Why is Akamai blocking me?

Akamai does not block users from accessing our customers’ websites. However, our customers can use tools and policies which may in turn block you (the end user). Our customers use these rules to protect them and you from malicious actors on the internet. Some common reasons could include:

• Explicit IP blocking / blacklisting
  • Location-based blacklisting
  • Rule-based blocking (i.e. web application firewall protections)
  • Reputation-based blocking
  • HTTP request rate controls (e.g. DoS protections)

The following activities may trigger application security controls:

• Web application layer attacks such as: SQL Injection, Cross-Site Scripting, Local File Inclusion, Remote Command Execution, Remote File Inclusion, etc.
  • Volumetric attacks or similar high rate HTTP traffic
  • Web contents scraping, data mining, web content indexing and similar automated web activities
  • Web vulnerability scanning using automated tools

Your reputation follows you. If your IP is identified as behaving poorly on one site, you may be blocked on other websites. A first step in troubleshooting may be to determine whether your organization is performing one of the activities listed above that could affect your reputation.

You can use our Client Reputation lookup application at https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/ to check whether your connecting IP address received a bad reputation score and submit an investigation request in case you believe it was mistakenly flagged as malicious.

When a page cannot be accessed, whether because of a customer policy blocking access to that resource or a variety of other reasons such as a server error, the error page will typically be presented as follows:

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi  Ness1

The links works  for me, just click on it here and it will open in a new page  https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/ 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
Ness1
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that’s about as far as I get. I can’t enter the site after declaring “I am not a robot”. The page is just frozen and nothing happens 😞 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the frustration this is causing you Ness1,

Have you been able to follow the helpful advice issued by the other posters, in particular the post from @sophist, to see if you can get to the bottom of this?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos