Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Unable to access Ubiquity Access Point since router change

Hi, thought I had this New Router install/VHUB into Modem cracked until I checked my Access Point upstairs.

So I've turned my VHUB3 into Modem mode and connected a new Edge Router X, which is connected to a AC Pro, internet is working and we are on-line.

However I now can't access my other AP upstairs. This is fed from my New router into a 4 port switch and my AP upstairs into connected to the 4 port switch. This was working before but I assume I need to configure a port or give my new router a static IP Address, I thought I had.

I'm new to networking so hopefully someone can assist me. I've also done a port forward so I can access my CCTV DVR but that doesn't seem to work either, so upstairs seem pretty isolated.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to access Ubiquity Access Point since router change

When you added the Edge Router to the Hub did you follow this method ?

Put the Hub 3 into modem mode …

To enable modem mode on your Hub 3

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub 3.0
  2. Open your Internet browser
  3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  4. Enter your Hub 3 settings password. The default password is on the bottom of the Hub 3.  If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

and wait for the base light to turn magenta.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1.

………………………………………………………………………..

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub 3.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialized (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub 3.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I done the first part but I didn’t  set the WAN to DHCP on the new router, however I am connected, just not to the AP upstairs.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 73
Flag for a moderator

So if you have your own router/AP setup a change of hub would not be the reason why its not working.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Is it too late for me to change the WAN port into DHCP even though I’m connected downstairs ? 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Hi, The setup is new, I’ve just turned my VHub into a modem and connected it to the new ER-X, that than feeds the AP upstairs which I can’t get to work.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 73
Flag for a moderator

So if I am reading correctly you have things cables like this:

Hub<—->edge rtr <—->switch<—->access point

?

How are you configuring the access point? ( I.e phone app, unifi controller etc...) 

I’m guessing you have checked the basics, like the Ethernet cable connecting the ap to the switch is showing a link light at both ends? is it possible that you gave the access point a fixed IP address rather than using dhcp? 

as you’re new to all of this, probably the easiest next step would be a pinhole reset of the unifi ap to see if it comes up after that... 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Yes that set-up is correct, Downstairs I have Modem - Edge-X - AP, the access to upstairs is Modem-ER-X *from there feeds upstairs to* - Switch - AP.

I've configured the AP point by the Ubiquity Phone App and it worked for the AP Downstairs.

I have noticed that there is no link light from the cable being fed from downstairs into the Switch upstairs (all other lights show) which is the main fed to my DVR/AP and in theroy provides all the relevant access,  So I suspect that's where the problem is ? Do I need to set the router  into DHCP for this to work ?

Yes I have reset my AP upstairs but still no joy.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 73
Flag for a moderator

if you have no activity light on the switch then you should be looking at the network cable it may be damaged. Also try the cable in another port on the router and switch

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 73
Flag for a moderator

OK I'll have a look but I haven't really messed about with that cable apart from putting it into the new ER-X from the VHUB, Yes I've tried other ports on either side but still no joy.
0 Kudos